I never new how bad snake poo smelt until now

I never new how bad snake poo smelt until now

Postby RJG » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 pm

I was at a friends house the other day just outside of nelspruit when one of the workers storms into the house screaming "mamba,mamba!!!!!". Into the car we jumped are drove of to a avo plantation/grove (my friend lives on a farm).buy the time we got there there where about 10 workers shouting and throwing stones up into an avo tree!although we could not see the snake we picked up a regurgitated green pigeon. my friend then tried to persuade the workers to stop the endless harassment and stone throwing.while he was doing this i took the opportunity to climb the tree to about half way,i then saw the snake...it was a southern African rock python of about 1.8m.(as far from a black mamba as is possible)the snake looked horrified.my friend then said from below that the workers agreed not to kill it if we moved it far away from the trees (that they where pruning i think) .i then climbed further up to try and get a hold of the snake,but rather unfortunately the branch it was coiled on broke and both the branch and the snake fell to the ground with a large thump. i then jumped down straight away to see the workers running for cover and my friend holding the snakes tail with no idea what to do next! i then grabbed the snake buy the head(i must add that with the adrenalin pumping through my veins i don't know how i did this with such speed and accuracy)the next thing i know ive got this python rapped around my arm....and then there was a warm sensation on my arm followed by the most horrid,stomach turning smell EVER!!!!!!i have never ever been sprayed or moistened(ha ha) by a snake like this!and there i was gagging whilst my friend was laughing like he saw the best comedy ever. i didn't know how bad feces smelt until now and i can assure you that i will never use the term "it smelt like s@#t" loosely ever again!!!

To conclude with the most important thing,the snake seemed uninjured after a quick check over and was released about 500m away in thick bush next to a dam and far out of site of any harm
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: I never new how bad snake poo smelt until now

Postby AneryCobra » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Ha ha. Good to hear the snake was unharmed, well done. You have to try really hard to get confused between a mamba and a rock python! The prejudice that most snakes, especially in south Africa are faced with is horrible!
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:11 pm

I don't think that was feces but rather musk. Afrocks often excrete a musk to deter predators its like an oily substance and is super horrid. Good on you for getting the snake away safely!
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 am

Haha lekker story! I agree though. Its defensive musk, not poo. I've often heard people say that its one of the species that when catching the sharp end should be the least of your worries! Glad it all ended well. For the snake at least hehe.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RJG » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 pm

haha.yes it was musk that caused the horrid smell but there was feces involved as well.like a musky chocolate moose.not too pleasant!
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 am

Musky chocolate moose. Enough to put anyone off ever doing a python callout again!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mpumalanga