Middleburg snake species list

Middleburg snake species list

Postby Bjornvdh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 am

Dear All

I have recently started work as a geologist at a coal mine (Arnot coal mine) near Middleburg, MP. We routinely do field work and have started to come across increasing numbers of snakes. I would like to educate my colleagues on which snakes are dangerous and which are not, both for in case of snake bites and to increase awareness and change attitudes (i.e. the kill mentality) towards snakes. Where can I find a list of snakes found in this area? I would like to create a poster with pictures and all the relevant information. Thanks.
Bjornvdh
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Middleburg snake species list

Postby Westley Price » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Bjorn, welcome to the forum.

The SARCA (South African Reptile Conservation Assessment) website has a species list function where you can type the locus code of any area and they drop out a species list.

I have taken the liberty to do this for Middelburg so please find the species list in the screen capture below.

The common names are on the right, so don't be too intimidated by the scientific names. You can print out the list and narrow it down from there as it contains all reptiles, not just snakes.

Reptile List.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bjornvdh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi there Westley

Thank you very much for the response, I will make sure that the information contained in that list is put into a nice visual format and disseminated to the rest of the staff.

All the best
Bjorn
Bjornvdh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh! yay!

A Middelburg / Mpumalanga snake list! thanks for that Westley, will be using that now that Ive moved here :)

Welcome to the neighborhood Bjornvdh!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brandon gartrell20 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Quite the coincidence, i was also looking for something similar today so im glad i stumbled upon this topic. Im going to Piet Retief next week, would the list that has been posted apply to the area that im going to be in??
brandon gartrell20
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Brandon you can go look online and compile your own list. I am sure it will be almost identical but just have a look to make sure.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Mpumalanga