Herping the easy way - Marloth Park

Herping the easy way - Marloth Park

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:42 pm

We recently went on holiday to a wonderful place next to the Kruger National Park. We got to see all of the big 5 (with lots more) and had to chase away the zebra that interupted our breakfast every morning. No electricity and just the feel of nature. It was amazing as always.

We had not gone to go herping, but it seemed that the herps came to us! It was herping the easy way - sitting on a chair, with a cool drink in hand. I did go out once to try and herp, but found far less than what came to visit us.

First up is one that needs to be explained.

We were warned that a "black mamba" had been seen nearby the place we were staying at so, having two kids, mine and hubby's eyes were wide open (and our nerves at the ready). Hubby had driven the 5 and 1/2 hour plus drive by himself (I sleep when he drives) and he was tired so he went to take a nap. I lazed out on the stoop and looked up to see a scaly tail. My first thought was snake (Possible snouted (egyption) cobra banded phase was the thought, but I felt like I was somehow off). My second thought was - Kids inside as in NOW! My third thought...where's my hook stick? I wake poor hubby up to find out. I was a mother first to get my kids away, A herper second...and a considerate wife to poor hubby last...

Here is the tail:

And this is what it turned out to be...

A rock monitor (Varanus albigularis). It stayed in the roof for our whole stay and was an interesting addition to our mornings.

The next herp to see was plated lizards (Cordylosaurus subtessellatus). There were 4 running around in the sun by the look out point we went to everyday, but I only got a shot of one The look out point over looks the Kruger National Park's river. It is amazing to see the animals coming down for a drink and at any given time of the day you can find almost anything there.

Driving along the border fence to the kruger my son shouted he had seen something. We looked past the fence and could see nothing. He calmly told us to open our eyes...he is 6. This is what he saw:

A beautiful Tree Agama (Under correction but I think the latin is: Acanthocercus atricollis)

Then there was the usual and classic you always find on the river banks:

Snakes are more my thing so when I shout "SLANG!" (Snake) then hubby usually does not argue and slams on breaks. On this call he said no...can't be... It turned out to be a DOR and we still arguing what it is. Want to wager a guess (hint: In the cobra family)?

Like I said...when I shout "SLANG!"...but sometimes the excitment gets me and I tend to forget my camera's limitations...

This was a snouted (egyption) cobra (Naja annulifera). Hubby and I agree on what it was. Sorry about the pic though.

Sometimes the best herping is not to herp at all. Just enjoy nature at it's best.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Herping the easy way - Marloth Park

Postby nvlooi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Great to see the herps are moving around.

I think the skink is a Five line skink, not a plated lizard.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:51 pm

...or commonly known as the Rainbow skink (Trachylepis margaritifer)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54 pm

You could be right. Not sure though as my id book on the lizards has gone missing so it was a guess.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Please also check my latin on the agama.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 pm

LeglessDragon wrote:Please also check my latin on the agama.

Perfect spelling... :D

I was in Marloth last year and the most amazing thing was the Giant plated lizards (Gerrhosaurus validus)...

Those things were massive, I initially thought they were rock monitors.

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:10 pm

The ID on the agama is correct.
The snake is Naja mossambica, they are very commen in that area.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mmwc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:26 pm

nice pics, thanks for sharing!
mmwc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:31 pm

@Nvlooi - Did not get to see them this year unfortunitly, but isn't Marloth just the best? It is an open classroom with something new each year.

@Adriaan - You sure on that?...lol...keep the rest guessing.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:55 pm

LeglessDragon wrote:@Nvlooi - Did not get to see them this year unfortunitly, but isn't Marloth just the best? It is an open classroom with something new each year.

@Adriaan - You sure on that?...lol...keep the rest guessing.

Awesome place awesome animals amazing place to learn stuff from your door step.
When I was there a pack of lions made there way into Marloth and I only found that out after walking around int he veld looking for herps... :shock:

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 am

Last year we found a leapard footprint right outside the door. Scary thought when you got small kids. They trying to get Eland now into the park as well, so next year there will be something different to look out for. They also wanting to find out more on the herp eco in the park as well which is amazing.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 am

Shouldn't this topic be in the Indigenous section? Or am I missing something?

Cheers

MV
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:26 am

It is in the "Reptiles indigenous to South Africa ‹ Indigenous reptile observation records" Section so I think it is in the correct place MV
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:26 am

It was moved, you did have it in the wrong place.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Limpopo