Steenkampsberg, Roossenekal area, Limpopo

Steenkampsberg, Roossenekal area, Limpopo

Postby Sico » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:44 pm

I spent the weekend on a friend's family's farm just north of Roossenekal.
The weather wasn't great with heavy drizzle and low temps on the Saturday from midday, and while Sunday morning was fairly warm with patchy cloud cover, it was cool, and heavy thundershowers from midday. I did see a nice Bitis arietans crossing the road just after Stoffberg, but the girlfriend wouldn't let me stop to take a picture (will seriously have to reconsider this relationship :lol: )
I went for a walk along the river at the bottom of the farm to where there is a natural waterfall about 30m in total height. There wasn't a heck of a lot of fauna about, some antelope, very little bird life and not a huge amount of herps, mostly skinks and flat lizards. I did see several monitor lizards of sub-adult size dart through the long grass and splash heavily into the water, without getting any pics of them.
Some nice insect life, a couple of not so picture-worthy scorpions, evidence of Otter activity (African Clawless), plenty of intersting and diverse flora though.
I've got a couple of pics worth showing, majority of them weren't very good with the poor light. Feel free to add/correct any ID's should I have made errors.
Some habitat shots along the river and the waterfall...

Gasterocantha sp
one of the Blues

Blue Wildebeest with calf
Blesbok

Trachylepis quinquetaeniata

Platysaurus intermedius ?

I'll definitely be going back there, hopefully for a lot longer period where I can get out on foot and do some proper hunting. Unfortunately the time had to be short as I flew up to southern Botswana today for a month.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Steenkampsberg, Roossenekal area, Limpopo

Postby Vinzy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Some awesome pics! Why do I feel like I'm the only person that when I go away on holiday I hardly ever see any reptiles :'(
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:47 am

Awesome finds man.

I really like those pics of the river and waterfall, gorgeous!

No idea on the Platysaurus sp. though.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:48 am

That place is beautiful, really nice pics.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:05 am

Gorgeous place, and nice photos, thanks for sharing.
Good job on getting close to the Platysaurus, they're a nightmare to photograph !
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 am

predator678 wrote:Good job on getting close to the Platysaurus, they're a nightmare to photograph !

I have actually found Platysaurus a pleasure to work with. They are incredibly curious and come out of their cracks within a few minutes. When I used to work in Zim I could comfortably get to within 1.5-2m of them without having to stage a shot.

Maybe some of the other species/populations react differently.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:16 am

They weren't at either of the extremes - being overly curious or overly skittish. They would all scurry a few feet further away when you walked past and then just resume basking. All the pics were taken from several metres away (good zoom on the camera). The Trachylepis were far more accustomed to human activity and were less likely to move away in a hurry, the Platysaurus were all found fairly remote from the main lodge where people don't really go that often.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Maybe I smell bad or something haha.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Limpopo