NEW REGISTRATION NOTICE:
We constantly receive a surge of spam registrations. On purging these, we may have deleted your newly registered profile by accident.
If this happened please accept our apologies and re-register.
Also note that registration now requires admin approval.

If your registration is not confirmed within 24 hours, please SMS your username and email to +27 (0)82 686 5464

Hornbill vs Chameleon...

Hornbill vs Chameleon...

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 am

At least it's not a roadkill! While at Mabula Game Reserve with some American friends we came accross some ground hornbill. They were walking towards us but then one of the juveniles turned and found this flapnecked chameleon. Moral of the story - if you're a chameleon, DON'T be seen.

There has been quite a few cases lately of people stealing photos from the web (not from this site as far as I know) so I am trying different ways of marking the images. It's a bit frustrating having text written all over the photo but I'd rather do that than find my photos on a foreign website without credit!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Hemachatus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 am

Great pics.

What equipment did you use and at what distance?

Watermarks and text over pics have become the norm, so dont apologise.
Hemachatus
SA Reptiles Support

Postby mania » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:29 am

Awesome sighting. That must be like a once in a life time sight im sure.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Exellent pics Andre and thanks for sharing. Poor cham. but its life I suppose. ;)
MrG

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm

The pics was taken with a Canon 30D and a 70-300mm IS lens. After he killed the chameleon by breaking its neck, he carried it to the road and crushed it while watching us and then he gobbled it down in one piece.

It's impossible to protect non-threatened species (eg roadkilled chameleons, etc) but seeing as flapneck chameleons are food for ground hornbills, it should be an offence to drive over them. Just a thought!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Chameleons are protected and have the same protection as the ground hornbill. What do you do though when you witness it?

Thats life even though the hornbill should rather go get invasive birds and rodents.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 pm

excellent pics, these things must be lekker to take photos of, you just snap some shots each time they eat something interesting. We get the hadedahs and they go for our cape skinks.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Limpopo