Building a large cage outdoors

Building a large cage outdoors

Postby Marion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi all

One of my beardies was sick this week but is well on the mend. She had a lung infection but is fine now. The vet brought up a good point when she said all reptiles need natural sunlight. Even with our fancy UV tubes, natural is still much better for them - which makes sense I suppose.

So I have decided to convert about half of my veranda to building an enclosure for my lizards. I say verandah but it's not that big - the enclosure will be 1m wide by about 2 long and roof height. Fortunately it has 2 walls and the roof already so I only have to put up 2 sides with a door. The floor is ceramic tile. I can see it at all times when in my lounge too so they will still have interaction with me.

I was thinking of using welded square mesh because it is so strong and also some sort of sheeted corrugated material that is not steel. Can't remember the name but it comes in various versions depending on how much sun you want it to penetrate. This would be to provide plenty of shade and protection from the elements for a portion of the enclosure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have a nice waterfall that I will use and will also put in heat for the colder times. I won't leave them outside at night though - I would never sleep!!! The can all come indoors at night and on really cold days as well.

I need to plan this really well before I go to any expense, so ANY ideas or suggestions you all may have will be very much appreciated.

Thanks all. Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Building a large cage outdoors

Postby sega » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Sounds awsome cant wait to see how it turns out.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natural vivariums