what to do with what i got

what to do with what i got

Postby Constrictor Girl » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 pm

So a friend gave me their 1.5m Long x 0.5m High x 0.6m Wide fish tank.
It's MASSIVE!!!! so any suggestions what i can do with it? sorry the pic is such bad quality took it with my cell phone.
Was thinking about turning it into a natural viv for a baby monitor but the monitor will outgrow it in a fw years, what about for a blue tongue skink? any suggestions on substrate, decor etc?? this wont be my first natural viv, im just stumped for ideas right now!!! :-?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Re: what to do with what i got

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:27 am

There are so many lizards that would love a cage that size. Blue tongues would be one species however they can fight a bit. Ridge tailed monitors are the other species. They can have a family group living in there and they will not outgrow it. Neither needs UV light so you dont have to worry that it is so high.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 am

Hi BV

Thanks for the reply, I dont think we are allowed ridge tail monitors in the Eastern Cape, haven't ever seen any here. I would have killed to put a caimen in there but alas we are not allowed those either.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J_Bay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:13 am

You could turn it into a pretty decent display tank for a snake! A nice Carpet python would look the business in there, if they do well in aquariums that is. I've seen plenty guys on Youtube make amazing tanks for their Carpets and they say they do ok. Some eco earth on the bottom, a few nice logs/climbing branches, it could look just like the rain forrest in there, lol!!
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:17 am

I speak under correction but as far as lizards et al go we're only allowed leopard geckos and blue tongues in the Eastern Cape. (Once again I speak under correction.)
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Thats a big tank, and you live at the coast, if it was me, there'd be a couple of black tip sharks in that thing in no time! :)
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:41 pm

@ Hoss we are allowed leos, african fat tails, blue tongue skinks, monitors and I think that's it.
@ Sico I would kill for a couple of sharks in there but I stand a better chance of growing udders on a bull, my man doesn't do sharks and he doesn't do venomous, so options are narrowed down drastically!!!
I'm scheming I might put a few rock monitors in there, make a nice big water bowl in the bottom right corner with the dirt raised here and there making mounds, some nice logs and decor. Think that would work
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Sharks are next on my list. They cost a bit more than Caimans... but imagine parking off on the lounge suite after a long day doing whatever (in my case very little so it'd just be parking off ont he lounge suite the whole day) watching a couple of sharks swimming about...
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:10 am

Nope rock monitor grow too big. Try the Ridge tails as they are plentiful and easy to keep in colonies.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm

BV I figured the monitors would out grow it in a year or two in which case I have a much bigger cage waiting in the store room, the monitors I am getting in january are babies
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 am

How about some Basilisks or Water Dragons?

They are on the rarer side and not see too often, which adds to the appeal, and I think they'd do well in that tank.

You might have trouble finding them down in EC, but it's worth a look.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Natural vivariums