Boomslang pics

Boomslang pics

Postby it_bit_me » Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am

Here's a few pics :-D Most pics are awful ...

This one didn't go as planned ,he ended up biting the hook and there weren't any good poses. Sorry the intent was not to anger an boomslang.

Here's my pair , they mated 20-01-2012. I hope they make it all the way but most people will know that boomslang are some of the harder species to get babies from. They mate Dec-Jan and eggs are produced late winter early spring -eggs hatch in Dec-Jan the following year.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Boomslang pics

Postby shadowfoot » Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Very nice colouration on the belly of the first one.
Good luck with them, hope you get many babies!
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Nice shot beautifull colors !
Where are they from ?
Hope everythings goes allright for the breeding !
East African Herpetofauna Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/662521540444058/
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

it_bit_me wrote:Here's a few pics :-D Most pics are awful ...

I don't think that Cage will keep it in. lol :D
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Lol@kinghero
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun May 06, 2012 12:38 pm

........Super skerp :) It took me almost a full minute to catch the joke :-D :-D :-D

The boomslang are now officialy in winter -in the Cape- and eating stopped about 2 weeks ago...
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Her last shed was about 3-4 months ago and she is looking very good after winter.
I can't tell when a snake is pregnant so I am relying on hope and my imagination- I would like to be one of the very few cool dudes that have had babies.
Cheers Uwe

it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 pm

If the snake is calm and runs through your fingers you can feel the eggs. I think you will be lucky just looking at her belly. I have bred them before and it is frustrating waiting so long for the eggs to hatch. The babies are not easy to raise either. If both parents are from the same locality then let most of them go there and just keep a few to raise.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Eyelash » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 pm

She looks to be pretty gravid !

I unfortunately I lost my gravid limpopo female about two weeks ago... :cry:

I can't wait to see some egg pics soon !

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Bushviper wrote: The babies are not easy to raise either. If both parents are from the same locality then let most of them go there and just keep a few to raise.

Bushviper what are the problems with raising the hatchling?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bob H » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I only produced one litter, but they were hell to feed. They seem to be very visual feeders and are attracted by rapid movements. I tried the usual pinky, small geckos, frogs, and got no response. I had a deformed day old eyelash viper that one at readily but then died the next day. Force feeding was pretty scary with small head/neck size and the posterior fangs. The babies are amazingly beautiful though.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:15 am

Spill the beans BV.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:35 am

I think they like eating lizards and geckos and possibly reed frogs. Getting them to take pinks is not easy. Force feeding stresses them and they die off. They also stress each other out and must be in their own cages with lots of hiding places.

Releasing them is much easier if it makes sense that you are not contaminating the gene pool.

If the parents are not from the same locality then share them around and try getting them to feed by themselves.

Good luck.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the insights.
The mum is very happy with grass frogs but she won't touch a toad.
Do you have an idea on whether they are dependant on sunlight to do really well?
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:19 pm

it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Boomslang (Dispholidus typus)