Piebald origination

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Piebald origination

Postby Brandz4 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi guys ... I'm sure this question will sound quite dumb to most of you guys but I was just wanting to find out how the piebald morph is produced or how it was originally produced in snakes such as ball pythons and burms etc .....

I don't know if I've posted this topic in the right forum but I hope that one of you experts will be able to explain it to me.

Thanks
Brandz4
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Piebald origination

Postby imperial exotix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I think the first one was found in the wild then produced in captivity.
The piebald is a resesive gene so if you breed it to a normal you will only get hets and if you breed the hets you will get a piebald.

Sorry if I have made it sound confusing but genetics is a little complecated.Try and do some reasearch.
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:52 am

It is just a natural occurring phenomenon like albinism. It can be found in many animals.

Each of the ball pythons, retics or burmeses that are piebalds originate from a wild caught animal that showed this trait. These were then bred to ensure the trait can be reproduced in captivity. It was believed that it might not be genetic (like calico retics) so it was a risk to pay big money for something that was unproven.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Brandz4 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:16 am

Oh ok that makes sense BV,

Thanks a lot guys :)
Brandz4
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies