boa x python?

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

boa x python?

Postby BRAD15 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:07 pm

i was surfing the forum and came across this category, i PERSONALY love hybrids i think they beautiful and out of curiousity would just like to know if anyone has ever crossed a redtail boa to a burmese python ? if its possible that is
BRAD15
SA Reptiles Member

Re: boa x python?

Postby sega » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Impossible pythons are oviparous and boas are viviparous.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Crossing a zebra to a horse is possible but what you're suggesting is closer to crossing a horse to a springbuck. It is not really possible to cross that border because of the huge differences in the way they reproduce and so forth. You could cross pythons species and then boa species but not boas and pythons.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 pm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yuPwJ4F5hRwJ:www.creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/42/42_3/CRSQ%252012-05%2520Snakes%2520article.pdf+crotalus+x+sistrurus&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=18&gl=us

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/experts/38846

Here a two links that might help you understand, apparently boa x python hybrids have been created before but are seriously kept under wraps for reasons I am not too sure about but I am sure it is due to serious legality issues, maybe someone could shed some light on this.
But from my research it comes down to the following:

1. Do both species fall in the same genre?
2. Are they Oviparous x:
a. viviparous?
b. Ovoviviparous ?

According to what I have come to understand is that most “live-bearing” serpents are not viviparous but are in fact ovoviviparous.
(For those of you that did not have biology in school a link to understand the difference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovoviviparity )

So the answer you will most commonly find is “no” but mainly because it is heavily frowned upon because it is not "natural".
My personal feelings around it is this, I believe in evolution and it is all around us back when it all started there weren’t so many species around and today there are so many reptile species around and more are discovered every day, I believe that Hybridizing is natural and it is nature’s way of survival, to keep a genre alive.

For example our human DNA has traces in dolphins, most primates and pigs DNA.

So if you manage to hybridize Boa’s with Pythons it would be pointless, you will be rolling back evolution and therefor wasting your time like those people that created the Liger which almost a direct trace back to the saber tooth but it has 0 – none –zilch-bugger all chance of survival in the wild today, there is nothing that can kill it, but it will be to easily spotted and will be to slow to catch anything and it will have to eat an entire heard impalas every week just to survive.

It has no purpose that is my point, but still it is just my theory and any comments and updates to the info that I have will be gratefully appreciated.

Hope it helps.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRAD15 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 pm

it_bit_me wrote:Crossing a zebra to a horse is possible but what you're suggesting is closer to crossing a horse to a springbuck. It is not really possible to cross that border because of the huge differences in the way they reproduce and so forth. You could cross pythons species and then boa species but not boas and pythons.

thanks guys, you have a good point ;)
BRAD15
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRAD15 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 pm

thanks gartersnake that was really interesting to read, helps alot just wanted to see what the outcome would be :)
BRAD15
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:19 pm

gartersnake wrote:apparently boa x python hybrids have been created before but are seriously kept under wraps for reasons I am not too sure about but I am sure it is due to serious legality issues.

Please do you think we are all idiots?The mods should start deleting people who post meaningless rubbish on this forum. :smt021
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Wow... Thats a bit harsh even for a rubbish post.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Tony I am inclined to agree with you. There are no legal issues!!!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Don't believe eveything you read. There is no intergenus hybrids until we all see the published paper.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 am

It_bit_me, there are MANY intergenus hybrids, but not inter-family as far as I'm aware of.

You get obviously Corns x Kings/Milks, Balls x Womas, Anaconda x Rainbow boas etc etc.

But I do have to agree with the above statements; that there is NO WAY a python and boa have produced offspring and no way they'll ever will. The production of hybrids does open a whole new realm of possibilities, but you have to be practical and realistic.

And (a bit off topic) too many trigger-happy hybrid enthusiast want to cross everything and everything. You shouldn't attempt hybrids just coz you can or just coz you have two different species and not a pair of each. A lot of thought should be involved....anyway, let me not vent.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby gartersnake » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm

TonyK, do you know what "apparently" means?
I did not say I believe this, but I did find a sight that again "apparently" have pictures of such creatures but I could not get registered and deleted the link since

...grow up.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:29 am

@ Gartersnake.People laugh at me when I tell them I am a member of this site and it is exactly because of people like you that many people think so little of this site.Haha its been a good few years since sombody told me to grow up ,thanks for the guidence.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 am

Come now guys, play nice.

Tony, I totally get the same reaction but I always retaliate by saying the if no one bothered to help out the newbies, give advice and eat cr@p from them, where on earth would this hobby be?

I can guarantee that if this site were to "close it's doors" that it would definitely decrease reptile sales and interest.

Stupid comparison, but imagine if all the university lecturers said, "Ahhh these students are pissing me off. I'm gonna sit at home and mind my own business."
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kinghero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 am

Agreed westley, you hit the nail in the head. back on topic thou, someone told me of cat-eaters, I dont Know all the details but sounds alot like this cross. Or do i have the Cat by the tail here?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies