boa x python?

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Re: boa x python?

Postby TonyK » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am

Cat-eater is the Afrock x Burm,Bat -eater is Retic x Burm
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:48 am

OH, Ja i dont know much about snakes, But find them cool. Sorry my 2c was wrong.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Tony, just for you:

sorry to bring up this mummified thread. A guy I know has succesfully gotten eggs out of his large african rock python, that was bred to a male Green anaconda. Unfortunatly, the eggs died in incubation due to a power outtage. All the eggs did seem fertile, and I saw them myself. They were bred at Westman Reptile Gardens in manitoba canada.

http://www.hybridhaven.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=07613258ae4de2c4549cc277db1766f7&start=24

And the only thing impossible on this thread is you, the chances are very "improbable" of this ever "successfully" happening with fertile offspring.

its been a good few years since sombody told me to grow up
- but it has been said.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Here we go again. I'm however not embarassed to admit I'm a part of this website. I just think South Africans don't have as much Internet Etiquette as some other countries but we are gradually getting better.

Never say never. People said the Wright Brothers would never get off the ground and look where we are today.
People said that they would never analyse the Human Genome and they did.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but Highly Unlikely. We might be pleasantly surprised (Unpleasantyl for others :P) one day that someone managed to cross a Red Tail Boa to a Burm or Afrock or something.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Well said Firefly.
I never understand all these pointless and baseless arguments, I know I have only been a member for a couple of months but I have seen my fair share of arguments on this forum.
Why be embarrassed for being on a forum where you can share your thoughts and experiences with other people who love reptiles, scorpions and spiders? You might end up saving someones life or their snake's life.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 am

sorry to bring up this mummified thread. A guy I know has succesfully gotten eggs out of his large african rock python, that was bred to a male Green anaconda. Unfortunatly, the eggs died in incubation due to a power outtage. All the eggs did seem fertile, and I saw them myself. They were bred at Westman Reptile Gardens in manitoba canada.

I have taken an avid interest in the field of hybridization, and try to keep abreast of what developments have taken place. Although someone has claimed this to have happened, I remain a sceptic.
Unless valid proof can be shown, via photo's or resultant off-spring or perhaps even a published journal, this to me, remains outside of what is currently possible.

Bear in mind, it has been known for snakes to lay eggs without having been in contact with a male. Just because a snake has laid eggs, and a male was present, it does not mean that copulation has been succesful.
I would however, should the claim be true, like to be proven wrong.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:31 am

shadowfoot wrote:
I never understand all these pointless and baseless arguments, I know I have only been a member for a couple of months but I have seen my fair share of arguments on this forum.

After you have been around here a bit longer you will start to see a pattern where you get people who know nothing about a topic just cutting and pasting from articles they found on Google.Wikipedia is often the first place they copy from.The sad part is that people who dont know any better then believe these idiots because they themselves dont know any better themselves.
Why should we just sit here and say nothing ?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 am

I like how you said it Fred, direct to the point and not harmful to anyone. @ tonyK you are 100% correct you shouldn’t sit by and not say anything, but keep in mind that with superstars and any other field there will be people that look up to you if you want them to or not, you have experience and has been around for a while a lot longer than I have, now with people looking up to you it might be advisable to think before you write, we all have bad days and we all get ticked off but think about the effect of how you said it. If I was new and you wrote like that to me id be put of this hobby and I’m sure no one wants that.

I don’t want to fight with anyone, tonyK this is not an attack, I’m just giving some advice and a subtle compliment, so please see it as that and think about what I said. You carry some weight please be careful how you use it.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 am

Good point TonyK, but I think more constructive criticism is needed in moments like these.
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 am

Having an African rock python laying eggs which were never viable to start with is not much of an achievement.

I have seen a male Bitis caudalis mating with another male B. arietans but no surprise when nothing came of that. I also saw a Cape House snake male mate and fully hook up with a yearling Natal rock python.

I have even seen a corn snake trying to mate with a thermometer for at least two days.

Needless to say these copulations are just as a result of captive conditions and have no bearing on hybrid production.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby F1refly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 am

I have even seen a corn snake trying to mate with a thermometer for at least two days.

I was drinking cola when I read that and it nearly spurted out my nose I laughed so much.
But seriously, rather come up with some conclusive evidence, like I don't know, Pictures if you wan't to prove that Boa have been hybridised with Pythons.

Substantial evidence is needed if you want people to take you seriously. Cutting and pasting from whatever forum, page, et cetera doesn't count as substantial evidence, unless the guy who you are quoting happens to be extremely reputable or whatever. If you want to be taken seriously, then don't insult people and have something to back up your claims. It just makes things worse if you don't.

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 am

Like I said in the very first post, "apparently" in other words "they claimed to have done so", I did not once say it is true neither false or did I say I believe it.
But instead I got attacked, victimized and slandered for answering Brad's request and by doing so I became the reason for the death of this site?! Or at least people like me you say; now from what I see there are a few members on this site that somehow became Greek gods somewhere somehow and knows everything and everyone else is suppose to bow down before them.

We are suppose to learn from this site and each other but instead we (and I mean that in a very general manner) would rather try and beat the other one down with sticks and stones for no reason, it is like beating a guy that parked in a disabled parking when you can clearly see that he is perfectly fine and he is actually fetching is his dying father that cannot walk, and then turn around and saying "you should have spoke sooner" what is it with this attitude.

The newbies coming into the trade don't ask questions because they get treated like idiots and get slandered, you keep on saying don't believe everything that you hear or read but that is the only way you learn coming into any hobby, trial and error.

What might be seen as a stupid question or post might just help someone with something somewhere that for you was common sense.

I went to a few ERHA meetings and thought of becoming a member and then... I changed my mind, I don't want to be known as a "snake person" this hobby has such a bad name it is not even funny, all i get told all the time is how "snake people" are arrogant, thieving, low life trash.

And I tried to prove people otherwise, but then they prove me wrong again, I can mention names as long as my leg of people on this site that should rather crawl into a hole and stay there, because they would rather crawl up into some guys backside just to get approval for who knows what reason and will defend that person no matter what on this site, but back in real life he is sitting with 20smuggled animals, the animals are in horrid conditions and still claims to be "the man" or at least "the man behind the man", just sad, really!

Anyhow, whatever - It is not the public that is causing the death of the hobby.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey Gartersnake, wasn't attacking you or anything, just some advice. As you said, you are not claiming that it did in fact happen or that you believe it. What I meant was that if someone say it definetly can't happen or definetly has happened, then they need to prove it. As you said "apparently" doesn't mean that it has, merely that they've claimed to.

I feel however that anyone that supports Hybrids on this site get's slightly worse treatment than those who don't, for example the comments that you got. I think that people should just get over this whole stigma of Hybrids. People will do it anyway, as long as they don't try to sell me a Kingsnake x Ratsnake as a Milksnake then I'm fine. If they make it clear that it is a Kingsnake x Ratsnake, then will I buy it? Hell yeah, as long as the price is right.

I will have to agree with some points you've made Gartersnake, unfortunately However, no matter what happens, I shan't be embarrassed to be called a Snake Keeper. Everyone one in my little town knows and I'm actually quite respected by some of them. Neither shall I leave because of some petty rivalry. At the end of the day however, it is up to us to give the hobby a good name.

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

gartersnake you should wonder why when you were Warbot you got all sorts of flak, then you became vinnige fanie and you got given stick, then you were eyed-lizard and you got flamed. Possibly it is not the community that is against hybrids or newbies. Tone down your posts and the people might actually get into meaningful dialogue but the way you post and respond does seem to rub various members up the wrong way. It is not the same people either. It used to be reptile corner and they no longer frequent the site and each time its somebody else. Take a good long look at what you say and how you contribute.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm

He got banned or restricted that many times? Now I have a whole new view of this discussion and argument.
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies