Yellow Anaconda x Boa Constrictor

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Re: Yellow Anaconda x Boa Constrictor

Postby fredsmith » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Good point TonyK.
The F2, and now the options of what to breed the offspring to... With the variety of morphs of several of the more common "pet" snakes out there, your options are almost limitless.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 am

Since Anacondas and Boas are so different, what is the chance of a red tail and dumeril hybrid? Or is this just too way out?
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby viv1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:08 am

You can give I a shot, kings and corn are not the same and it has been done. Just have a look at blood x ball.
viv1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am

@ it_bit_me. When it comes to the bigger species like Boas and Pythons I don't think there are any 3 way crosses out there.
Among the Colubrids however, multiple way crosses have already been done in one form or another. An example is CalKing x Corn x Sinaloan Milk x Great Plains Rat, this is already a 4 way cross. This 4 way cross has then had sub-species of the base species added, and I know of an 8 way cross currently, and I think the variable could be evn greater.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

Roland do you know whether it is easy finding pure black or yellow rats in SA. Are the ones I see advertised as pure Yellow or Black becoming rare?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 am

I honestly think that there are still pure Black or Yellow rats in SA. The problem is as you put it, to find them.
I have Black female, but I think she has a bit of Texas blood in her. I will take a pic and post it here tomorrow.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm

tranzoid, To my knowledge there are no other species that can reproduce with human beings, so whatever I used as an example would be irrelevant any way. The point that I was trying to make was that many people who have no problem with snake hybrids would probably be against a human hybrid.

As for hybrids that occur in the wild, that would be an interesting study. As far as I know Bitis gabonica and/or Bitis rhinoceros have been known to hybridize with Bitis arietans in the wild. Does anyone know of any other species that this has been documented for ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm

predator678 wrote: Does anyone know of any other species that this has been documented for ?

There are hundreds.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby tranzoid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

predator678 wrote:tranzoid, To my knowledge there are no other species that can reproduce with human beings, so whatever I used as an example would be irrelevant any way. The point that I was trying to make was that many people who have no problem with snake hybrids would probably be against a human hybrid.

As for hybrids that occur in the wild, that would be an interesting study. As far as I know Bitis gabonica and/or Bitis rhinoceros have been known to hybridize with Bitis arietans in the wild. Does anyone know of any other species that this has been documented for ?

As BV says there are hundreds between genera, species and higher level taxa (google is your friend and google scholar can be more truthful) in fact natural hybridisation is so common there are entire books written on natural hybridisation and its role in evolution (a favourite of mine: Natural Hybridization and Evolution By Michael L. Arnold 1997). My point is that if one wishes to argue against something real, then one should stay in the bounds of reality, not turn to hypothetical postulation to make up for a lack of research (an assumption I make because you and many others are still looking for other examples :smt021 ). There are many peer reviewed scientific papers relating to hybridisation and its potential consequences, it is also a topic featured in many if not all conservation genetics text books. Sadly (for some) the only way to actually formulate an opinion regarding the ethics around breeding hybrids is to invest the time required to read and understand all of the factual information available on the topic (conversely the only way to make an informed decision to actually breed hybrids is to do the same, I have done so and am currently trying to breed hybrids of my own) then try to absorb some of the rather well thought out opposing opinions on the topic presented by researchers in the fields of conservation genetics, phylogenetics etc.
Enough of the topic digress though, as many others have pointed out this is a sub-forum specifically for discussion of hybridisation, hybrid offspring etc created due to the responses discussion of hybridisation received elsewhere. Maybe someone should petition admin for a sub-forum for an anti-hybridisation support group
tranzoid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby regent reptiles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 pm

Fantastic looking snakes, thank you to every one who sent great e-mails about them,will let every one know how they get on.
and will give more info on how we done it soon, will also post better photos soon
steve :smt006
regent reptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby regent reptiles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:56 am

tranzoid wrote:Those are too cool! What an interesting crossing. Just love hybrids, also love the way a really unique/pretty hybrid can cause a mind-shift anti-hybrid to pro-hybrid :smt017

we will post better photos of the anaconda x boas soon.
steve. :smt006
regent reptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 pm

I get your point tranzoid, and it is a good one. Thanks for the references, I will be sure to look into all of this. It sounds very interesting.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:52 am

Sjoe, I just saw this topic now!

Ignoring the idle arguing, which rolandslf concluded quite nicely, those snakes are certainly special.

I can only imagine what a bad attitude they must have; Annies are known for that and often hybrids also, so these could be nasty little buggers, haha.

I can certainly see traits of both parents in the babies. I wonder why the striping....

Carla, chances of Boa contrictor and Dumerils producing hybrids is 99% according to me. If Womas and Balls can produce offspring, I do not see why not.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am

Westley is correct, RTB x Dumerills will work.

A "big snake" cross which would not work is where a cross between a Live Bearer (RTB) and an Egg Layer (Burmese) is attempted. At least this is what the theory is, a theory which has not been disproved yet.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 am

rolandslf wrote:A "big snake" cross which would not work is where a cross between a Live Bearer (RTB) and an Egg Layer (Burmese) is attempted. At least this is what the theory is, a theory which has not been disproved yet.

This has been achieved with Echis (saw scaled vipers) and possibly also with Rat snakes in China.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies