An Olive Surprise!

An Olive Surprise!

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 pm

Got home around six, walked over to the olive's cage & peered into the lay box like I have been doing daily for the past few weeks.... & Woa!!! EGGS. BIG White healthy looking eggs! I'm pretty sure I'm the most excited guy in the whole of SA tonight!

I'm at a total loss for words. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined something like this to happen! Would explain why the girls have both gone off food!
I'm gonna get some vermiculite tomorrow.

Please can I have some advise BV or someone who knows. I have not had eggs in years! What's my next move? Do I leave them in there with the female overnight or take em out. right now they are just on some damp milch....

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: An Olive Surprise!

Postby jka » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:57 pm

Congrats your one lucky guy :D , the next step I would say is to get the eggs into vermiculite or sphagnum moss and put it into a incubator. Just remember don't turn the eggs or the "embryo" would drown in the fluid.

Congrats again.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby arcadies » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:00 pm

congrats man, well done. im hoping for some myself this season.

i wouldnt leave them in there overnight though, incase she tips the container over or she bumps the eggs
"But I put my life on the line to save animals. " Steve Irwin (1962 -2006)
arcadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks Guys, I've removed them. All in all, Six good eggs, one bad. Made another discovery, the eggs don't belong to the olive in the picture! They were the smaller female's clutch! She also had the white skin showing in between her scales towards the lower half of her body, now she is super thin! So a second clutch might still be coming soon as a present from my big girl! They both shed about a week ago & I still told myself 'pre lay shed' but at the same time I thought 'Ja right'!

I don't have an incubator, I've always 'incubated' my BHS & Corn eggs on some damp vermiculite in a 2LT tub with minute holes along the side. I used to just store the tub in my cupboard at room temperature... should I expect this to be any different. I really don't wanna loose these eggs!
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:21 pm

WOW!
Nice one dude!
Stoked for you!
Get those eggs into some vermiculite asap.
And lets see those eggs hatch!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Well done Dean, I can just imaging how stoked you are.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:32 pm

That's a surprise I would've thought that it was the big female that laid the eggs she is Huge but maybe you will get a clutch from her as well , just feed the small female well and she might give you another clutch.

Personally I don't like the cupboard method but if it works for you why not. The eggs should hatch at the same temperature as another house snake.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby arcadies » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:38 pm

quite an arb way to "incubate" eggs. but whatever floats your boat.
"But I put my life on the line to save animals. " Steve Irwin (1962 -2006)
arcadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks JKA. I'll be doing just that. Hey Eugene & Ty! Can you guys believe it! But hey. Lets save the excitement for when they actually hatch! Olive are so hard to come by! yay!
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Ok wait. arcadies & JKA, you both seem to disagree with me here. I have over 10 pairs of snakes so I'll be doing loads of breeding in the future. Where would one go to buy an incubator? Maybe i should just invest in one now...
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Dean as you did before ive hatched many snakes like the "cupboard method" if you dont have access to one build one
check this out...

This was posted by jka if im not mistaken

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9919
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 pm

I would also build one its easier than you would think.
Have a look at these links viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12189, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9919 there is a photo of my incubator.

If you still need help send me a pm and I will try and explain it to you better.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Nice going.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 pm

Interesting.

Regarding the eggs and the embryo drowning - I think the embryo first has to start developing, then you shouldn't turn them, but even then I've had eggs hatch. With Brown house snakes about 3 days after the eggs were laid I moved them around etc and the majority still hatched. Even with gecko eggs - found some, threw them in a ziploc bag with some sand, chucked them in my rac sack and they got shook around a lot and they still hatched a week later.

One of you guys who breed stuff should take some eggs and be prepared to sacrifice them and do an experiment - take the batch of eggs and divide them in to two different containers. The one container leave the eggs they way you found them and the other one you turn upside down. And if you breed a lot of stuff you should have more containers and leave the eggs upright for longer and then only turn them over and try establish after how many days they drown (If they do). .
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby drummer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm

gecko eggs i have found you can throw them around and juggle them for a week and they will hatch. As you said...thrwon them in my backpack and forgotten about them....and they still hatch.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)