House snake collection

House snake collection

Postby 4jel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:12 am

Hi Everyone, I have decided to start a collection of the various house snakes, I have the albino house snake, spotted house snake and the olive house snake. I have my heart set on the Aurora, yellow bellied and fisks house snake but I am not sure how readily available they are. Can someone maybe give me some insight into any other unusual ones that are around.
4jel
SA Reptiles Member

Re: House snake collection

Postby nvlooi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 am

Please add your location(province at least) to your information...

Getting a fisks would be a problem, Yellow-biellied not so much and aurora not at all.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 4jel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 am

Sorry - I am from Durban Kwazulu Natal
4jel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:50 am

Auroras are bred quite succesfully and were on sale at the Durban expo.

Yellow bellied house snakes are not bred easily because they are not easy to keep. They prefer lizards and not geckos so keeping them alive is difficult. The babies are also very small.

Fisks are the holy grail of South African snakes. Quite a few have been smuggled out to Germany and the US and they still end up dying. I have seen a single animal which ate pinks but this animal has also never been bred. Potentially you will not be doing the species a favour by trying to force them into captivity.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby 4jel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Recent update : My house snake collection is coming along nicely. I have managed to extend my collection with the blue, red and Aurora. I did not realise that there is such a vast variety of house snakes. Some of which I will only of dream of getting. Any information on house snakes will much be appreciated :)
4jel
SA Reptiles Member

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)