General house snake question

General house snake question

Postby 4jel » Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi - I have a varied collection of house snakes i.e. KZN spotted h/s, Karoo spotted, olive, albino, aurora and blue/ghost house snake. Can anyone give me some information on temperature control, if they should be on heating pads or not. Has anyone got ideas on how to get them off Gecko's and onto pinkies. The KZN spotted have stopped eating, suspect due to the cold temperatures. I have heard things about Olives being on heating pads and not survived? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
4jel
SA Reptiles Member

Re: General house snake question

Postby Fooble » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm

That's rather a general question.
All of those snakes you described require different conditions and prey.
Ie the feeding the Karoo guttatus rodents will kill them sooner or later that's if you get them feeding at all.

The spotted house snakes do better when kept on geckos as it is natural prey item pinks usually have negative long term implications on the snakes health.

The Anery( Ghost/blue) is a normal brown house snake (B.capensis) and require no special attention.
Olive house snakes wont die whilst being kept on a heat pad some in fact do much better being kept warmer.
Aurora's vary from province to province some do extremely well whilst kept on heat others refuse to eat whilst on heat.

Everyone keeps snakes differently so any opinion is of course subjective.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)