Brown house Locality

Brown house Locality

Postby JJward7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:57 am

Good day all
Well i have been doing some research and could not find any information on the following question. So i was hoping someone here can help me.
My Question: How do you detemine the locality of a brown house snake if possiable?

thanks in advance
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Brown house Locality

Postby Kakibos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

Hey JJward7 I do not think it is possible to determine the correct locality of any snake. As an example in Gauteng you find different colour phases of brown house snakes so therefore I think it would really be difficult. I may be wrong but I am sure the more experienced members can assist.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 am

I have seen spotted ones from a few provinces, striped ones from three provinces, red ones from two provinces and ones with white sides from two provinces. It will be almost impossible to tell with any degree of certainty. Obviously the "Zululand" large striped and spotted ones will not be confused with a Limpopo one however anything more than that would just be a guess.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby JJward7 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies very interesting. It's amazing how the wild type can be so beautiful. I found a nice little blog thing that helped me understand a lot better would have like to shared it but don't know how to post links.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)