Very interesting GTP behavior

Very interesting GTP behavior

Postby balls'n all » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Hey guys,

Finding mice in Cape Town can be difficult at times and so I've had to switch up my GTP's diet from time to time. Over the last little while I've tried Rat pups and noticed that they weren't too keen on them. One of my males was acting very strange and would take the rat pup at first and then drop it. next time I tried he just gave it a sniff until eventually he showed almost no interest at all.

Then a female, who chowed them before, also started with the same behavior. What fascinates me is that as soon as I offered regular mice it was as if nothing had happened.

I know this happens a fair amount with other snakes but very interesting to note with GTP's.
http://www.iherp.com/brandon.btreptiles

"True Happiness is a room full of well fed Chondro's"
balls'n all
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Very interesting GTP behavior

Postby MegF » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 am

Just noticed this thread. I feed everything from mice to rats to african soft furred rats and none of mine show any difference in the eating. I only feed every 2-3 weeks though so they are hungry when they are fed and so rarely take a second look at them. It goes in on the tongs and the tongs come out empty! I haven't ever had a picky chondro...they all eat like crazy unless it's breeding time or they are in shed. Most will eat even then....and they don't care what it is. I suspect all of mine would eat burgers if that's what came in the cage at feeding time. Less frequent feedings make for a more active snake and a better feeding response in my opinion.
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
0.1~Neotropic rattlesnake
http://www.franclycac.com
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green tree pythons (Morelia viridis)