Irian Jaya Ovulation

Irian Jaya Ovulation

Postby Mitton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 am

All 3 my adult Irian Jaya's ovulated on the same day, I only have pics of 2 of them though.
These pics were taken a while ago, they have already had their pre-lay shed.

www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Irian Jaya Ovulation

Postby Silvrav » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 am

Congrats... :) and so the count down begin...

Any news on those Jungles? hehe
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 am

They started mating later than the IJ's.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:24 am

I like the gold and black one, male or female? the darker colored on in the pic above.
By the look at your pics my female is also ovulating, does yours also do the weird movements with their girt section, it looks like she is arranging the eggs inside or something, my female is also heavy in shed.

She will probably slough in the next 2 days or so...
After all the research that I have done, downloading all the information and comparing information from different breeders around the globe, and everything, but on this stage of ovulating there is not much information but your pics just cleared it up for me, thanx.

Some stunning specimens you have there!

... I'm just concerned about one thing, the other day my one mate came over to visit, I quickly went into the back room to do something can't remember and he was in the room, when I got back he had my female carpet out... I was beside myself! because i know that carpets can re-absorb the eggs and so forth, I just want to know mitton if this action from him could have caused damage in any way?

much obliged
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Mitton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 am

eyed_lizard wrote:I like the gold and black one, male or female? the darker colored on in the pic above.

The one with more gold is the female.

eyed_lizard wrote:... I'm just concerned about one thing, the other day my one mate came over to visit, I quickly went into the back room to do something can't remember and he was in the room, when I got back he had my female carpet out... I was beside myself! because i know that carpets can re-absorb the eggs and so forth, I just want to know mitton if this action from him could have caused damage in any way?

I don't know, depends on what he did to her, if he just handled her normally then I don't think there could be damage.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:05 am

I though that was the female :D she is stunning!

Yea he just handled her that's all, awesome, thanks, I was a bit stressed about that.
eyed_lizard

Postby JPWittstock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Fantastic Mitton,

Well done, they look awesome. Hope you have a ton of new mouths to feed soon.

JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Carpetpythons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Nothing will happen to her from handling her. I posted a thread on here last year, I think it was called breeding carpet pythons 101! It might clear up some issues with their breeding cycle for you!
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:43 pm

hey Carpetpythons, thanks and I did read through that post of yours (printed it actually) but on some forums (other international) they say they can re-absorb the eggs, and season is over, so there is some mixed feelings around some situations, I am a novice with this species and I am purely just repeating from what I have read.

But on that note, since she has shed the bump has disappeared and has not eaten since, sometimes she does some seriously weird "stuff" so to speak, she will lay in a spiral with the head in the middle facing down, then all of a sudden she will start climbing out the enclosure, tail wagging and musking all over the place, then she will curl up in the water bowl, and lay there for undisclosed amount of time, there is a lay-box in there big enough for her to easily fit in and lay her eggs, it has holes at the bottom and top for ventilation and drainage, on the bottom of the lay-box is 3 double layers of newspaper and sphagnum moss on top of that for holding moisture.
...When I find her lying in the water bowl, I drop the temps from 30-31c on the warm side to about 27-28c and the cool area where the lay-box is situated to around 23-24c then she will usually settle on top of the lay-box again.

The male is in a holding cage in the other room, just thought I'd mention that.
eyed_lizard

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:38 pm

I would look if she does not have mites. That behaviour does not seem like a snake that is gravid.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Carpetpythons » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:39 am

Eyed lizard: Take her out of her enclosure, put her on a solid floor and take a photo of her. Post it in the forum and I'll tell you if she is gravid.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Will do thanks carpetpythons.
eyed_lizard

Postby eyed_lizard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 am

HI again, no photos as yet camera's battery is flat, anyway... I was thinking about what BV said there, what would happen if I would treat her for mites, thus parasite flush etc... the whole shebang and it happens that she is indeed gravid, what damage would that cause the eggs? and the female?
eyed_lizard

Postby Mitton » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 am

You don't have to parasite flush a snake to get rid of mites.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Carpetpythons » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 pm

You will find mites in the water bowl if she had any. They will be the little black things floating in the water. They do not re-absorb eggs. Once the eggs are formed they will lay them. They either lay them fertilised or unfertilised, even unshelled. Ovas can be reabsorbed. The best indication that a snake is gravid is the stiffening of the last third of their body. Another good sign is that they stop eating. You can also gently run a gravid female through your hands and feel for lumps in the last third of their body. If she is eating, not aggressive and not sensitive to the touch in her rear end then I doubt she is gravid. They also hide most of the time and only come out to bask. I might upload some pics of gravid girls so you can see what they look like.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)