Gravid Coastal

Re: Gravid Coastal

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Haha, yes two will strike out as soon as the tub lid is opened. Time will tell how the rest attitude up :lol: .
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Blet, I've sent you a PM. The little one shed during the night, clean shed, but there's fluid build-up behind the new eye cap again. Will have to treat symptomatically, for now, so I can get some nourishment into her, before I try any more medications/injections...

Jason, it's amazing how such small, and seemingly fragile, snakes can have such larger than life and feisty attitudes. :lol:
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone.

For those that are interested, the little one with "pop eye" is doing quite well. She shed last week thursday/friday, and I was quite concerned about the eyecap shedding off or taking the new eyecap off with it, as it looked like a congealed mess. Well, the mess came off, and she shed perfectly. The eye started to swell again, and I lanced it, to drain the excess fluid. Put some ointment on it, and then left it. To date, the eye has not swelled up again, and the pupil is still contracting/dilating, and moving in sync with the other good eye. So all in all, it looks like the eye will be saved. Once she's shed again, I will post an update pic of her, as I don't want to add any more stress than what she's already been through the last few weeks, what with injections, handling, mini-ops, and eye ointments... She is a real fighter, and already starting to move around her tub as normal, as opposed to her just lying in one spot when the whole problem started.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while.

Unfortunately, the little one with "pop eye" took a turn for the worse, and ended up losing the eye, after it looked like it was getting better. I tried everything that I could to save the eye, but at one point it looked like the brain mass was pushing out of the socket! I treated as best as I could, and just let nature take it's course, while taking "quality of life" into consideration, and preparing myself for the worst. She then had a good shed, and the "brain mass" cleared up, leaving a fleshy mass where the eye was once. I'm hoping that over the next few sheds it'll heal over nicely.

I had been warned that at the least, she'd lose her eye, and at worst, she wouldn't make it at all, so I was prepared for both eventualities. Thankfully she just lost the eye, and can go on to live a healthy, happy and near normal life. I just can't sneak up on her blind side, or else she goes nuts. Which is undersandable.

Just an updated pic of "Popeye", to show how she's looking now.

Showing her missing left eye

Still one of the prettiest of the babies out of the lot, and such a sweetheart.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am

I can't wait for the day that I fetch her from you. The beauty of the situation is that she will have a perfectly normal life, as she will adapt to life with one eye.
Who knows, in 4 or 5 years time, I may even breed her. The problem with the eye is after all not genetic. But that is of course, way down the line.

I am glad that she has survived.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 am

Roland, I'm glad I never went to the vet to have her put down. You know how I debated, and kept putting that idea off. Once I've got homes for all the other juvi's I'll try the parents together one more time, and see if the issues were genetic, or incubation related.

As soon as the others have shed, I'll take them out for some outside photos.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 am

I cannot see the eye problem being genetic. It would have been caused by an injury or a bad shed.
I may be able to fetch her in a month or so, alternately, if anyone comes through Vryheid to Durban, we can maybe arrange a pickup.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

The vet here gave me the name of the duct in the eye that became blocked. It can be genetic, or just a once-off thing that happens. Not sure of the mechanics behind the infection/blockage, maybe one of the more veterinarian-knowledgeable members can elaborate? If it was a genetic thing, it would've occurred basically from hatching, and it only started to swell after the first year.

Roland, however you want to arrange it is fine by me, as long as the transport is geared to keeping her comfortable and healthy for the trip to you. I know she's going to a good home, where she will be cared for and loved more than what I can at this point in time. Plus I need to make space for next seasons possible breedings... Got a few things, indigenous and exotic, that I am working on. Hopefully see the results this season, or maybe next at the latest.

BTW, I am feeding everyone next week. They've been on mice, and finally managed to get rats, so will see if they switch as easily as the parents did.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 am

Hey all.

Well, yesterday, I got home from work, and saw that my male was going ape again, as he has been doing for the last few weeks now. He has refused meals, and has been trying non-stop to get out of his enclosure for a few weeks now... Little did I realize or guess... :oops:

But first, a bit of background information to this situation...

A few weeks ago, my adult female developed a rather nasty RI, which I am attributing to the substrate that I was using, but that's another story for another day. After a round of baytril, she started to come right, and I tried feeding them both. Neither one wanted to eat, but the female eventually ate a few adult f/t mice. The male, however, had started to go a bit "nutso" in his enclosure. Tipping the hides, screwing up the newspaper, and generally being hissy, and bitey. The female, did not shed after recuperating from her RI, which I thought was strange, but I didn't bother too much, as she was looking a lot better, and her movements and such had basically returned to normal. Anyway... Over the last 2 - 3 weeks, the male has constantly refused meals, and neither of them have shed since about March. I did not brumate, or change the photoperiods, as I was not intending on breeding this season, specifically because of the female having had an RI.

Yesterday, I took a whimsical chance, and placed the male in the female's enclosure... He was put in at about 14h10... At 14h20, he was all over the female, and was massaging her with his spurs constantly, and with fervour. She did not show any signs of aggression towards him, and allowed him to climb all over her. When his spurs got near her cloacal area, she would jerk just that part of her, and his spurs would stop moving momentarily, and then continue, with increased massaging. This carried on till 14h50, when copulation occurred. They stayed locked the whole evening, and when I went to bed at midnight, they were still locked.

When I got up this morning, I checked on them, and they were no longer locked, but were still lying together... If he smoked, I'm sure he would have had a fag hanging out his mouth, what with the look of satisfaction on his face! :lol:

I'll leave them till this evening, then remove him, and place him in with her again tomorrow night. I'll be following Mitton's breeding plan.

Well, some pics are in order, I suppose...

Him exploring her, and getting his mojo on...

Spurs massaging her like crazy...

The down and nasty being done...

Holding thumbs that this is the first of a few successful locks this season!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:16 am

I know this is going to be a bit backwards, but I took some photos recently of the one hold-back from the 2011/2012 clutch. And seeing as I am pairing the same parents together again, I thought a yearling shot would suffice to show you what the young are starting to look like.

Well, to me she has some potential, and am looking forward to seeing what comes of her...

The parents are back at it again, and it looks like this season is going to start off with a big Morelia bang!

Thanks for looking! Enjoy!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Best of luck with the pairing Mehelya. Well done on that holdback. It looks nice and healthy. Beautiful.

J.
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks Jason, appreciate the comments!

I wish I could get the yellow that this little one has to stand out, but no matter what light I put her in, I just can't seem to capture the colors properly on camera. The yellow is a dark, subtle yellow, but has such an impact when seen with the browns and blacks. I'll try and build a light box, and see what I can do.

Well, the adults have had 4 confirmed locks. first one was 10+ hours, second was 15+ hours, the third and fourth ones were 5 + hours each. I will keep pairing them, until they lose interest, and then the wait begins. Hopefully I will have a plethora of bitey babies this season, and hopefully something interesting will pop out again.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 am

Hey all!

Well, I was cleaning enclosures yesterday, and decided I would take some updated shots of all the babies... They are coming along nicely now, and their colours are starting to shine!

Here they are in their shiny new coats...

M1

F1

F2

F3

F4

The one (F2) had the problem with the blocked duct in the eye that became swollen, but it looks like the eyeball is still intact and functioning under that dark eye cap. A few more sheds, and she should be up and running again! Roland, she is waiting for you to pick her up! M1, F1 and F3 are going to be available at the expo in Durban in December, IF I can get them down that side. They are all pounding on rat pups, off the tweezers, so they are growing like mad now, and with the regular handling, they are quite chilled for baby carpets. I will have them all probe-sexed before I send them to the expo, so that everyone knows exactly what they are getting, if they are taken.

Enjoy the eye-candy! I will try and find a decent plant, and take some outdoor photos this week , after graft.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am

Thanx for sharing man, so beautiful babies you got there!

I must say, the one with the eye problem is the prettiest of the lot for me!

Very yellow coloured head (or could this be an effect of the flash?).
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mehelya » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 am

Westley, Thanks for the awesome comment!

I honestly don't know what happened with her ontogenics (those are her real colours by the way), but when her eye-duct blocked, and the cap and eyeball swelled up, she had a bad shed, and only the head piece came off, and then that night, when I removed the rest of the shedding, only her head was yellow. Maybe the start of "yellow-headed" carpets? :lol: Just kidding. I don't know if it is related to the bad shed, genetics, or what is going on there, but she is lovely. I am just glad her eye still seems functional. I did test it for movement responses, by wiggling my fingers on her "blind" side, and she did respond by turning to face my hand, so I am hopeful of a full recovery over time.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)