Gravid Coastal

Re: Gravid Coastal

Postby Mehelya » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:04 am

Well, my adult male shed yesterday, and he was looking so nice and shiny...
I feel the juveniles will end up looking more like the male than the female... Who knows...

I may just be imagining it, but my female does seem to be rather large in the derriere... This photo, from last night, shows how heavily in blue she was. This morning her eye-caps were clear. I am thinking that I will need to get the incubator ready. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Excuse the mess in her enlcosure. The blood in the background is just rat blood, and her enclosure was cleaned last night.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

I recon she looks extremely plump!

What works for me to check for eggs is to let the female slide over a vertical edge.

You will then see the bulges from the eggs quite clearly as she slowly slides over the edge.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am

With them its quite easy. Pick her up and let her hang. If she makes a C shape with her belly curing inward then she is gravid.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks Wes and BV. Once she's shed, and not so iffy, I'll give that a bash, and see what happens.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 am

Well, after a lot of questions, and waiting, when I got home from work yesterdat at about 16h30, I was greeted with this...

I could see one slug at this point. She was laying on the heat pad, so I dropped the temp from 34 to 27, so that the eggs didn't cook themselves, and when I got home from an evening with the missus, I came home to this...

And the grand total is :

1 Slug, 2 Suspect (at the back of the pile) and 9 healthy...

Put them straight in to the incubator, without separating them, and when I checked them this morning, just to make sure that everything is running smoothly (incubator was set up last week), they had caved slightly, but I will sort that out at lunchtime.

So, this season, she took 24 days from pre-lay shed, as opposed to her 20 days from the last time. At least she popped in the afternoon, and not at 1 in the morning again.

Now, the long wait starts!

Enjoy!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Excellent stuff Rian. Use my Roller Towel trick to plump those caved eggs back up. Do not throw those two seemingly slugs away just yet. Watch them for a week or two or three, if they do not seem to affect the other eggs, leave them there for the full duration. You may just get a surprise from them.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Shot bud, the two suspects are still in incubation. They may very well still pop something out. Only threw the definite slug out. Towels already in place bru.

Enjoy!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pytoxic » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Congrats man!
I wonder, what do you think the best starter snake to breed is?
Regards
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Creator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 am

Awesome Congrats :D
Creator
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Pytoxic, thanks.

The easiest to breed is the one that you want to breed. Obviously, some species would require certain conditions and such to initiate successful breeding, such as brumation etc. You also have to be careful of some of the species, as some have cannibalistic tendencies and the one may eat the other, if not properly conditioned and fed for the breeding season. Olive House/Ground Snakes comes to mind... Find something that catches your eye, and that you are happy to keep and breed with, and go from there. Read up about breeding those species that you want, and go from there.

The easiest, and first, snakes I ever bred out were plain old Brown House Snakes. Once the eggs were laid (in the water bowl because I didn't remove it, and didn't know better), I then put them on damp cotton wool (couldn't get vermiculite or perlite), and shoved the container in my cupboard (living in Waterval at that stage), and checked on them every other day to check that they weren't drying out and to remove any mould that may have grown on the cotton wool. Eventually hatched out 5 wriggly little Housies from those eggs.

Here is the BHS eggs in the "incubator"... :oops:

And the resultant babies...

The whole thing about breeding is what do you want to do? This hobby isn't about what others want, it's what you want to do, as far as I'm concerned. When breeding though, you have to take a few things into consideration : can I feed and house all the babies properly. Can i sell or get rid of the offspring, or am I going to be stuck with more snakes than I can handle. Think before you start breeding, because at the end of the day you don't want to sit with babies that you can't sell and can't afford to care for.

So, at the end of the day, I would suggest BHS, Corns, Kings, and the other popular colubrids as a good starter. There are many morphs to choose from at reasonable prices, husbandry and breeding is simple, and straightforward. Good luck, do some research on the husbandry and breeding of the various species that you are interested in, and then make a well-thought out decision.

Hope that helps, Pytoxic?

Creator, Thanks man! This was a bit unexpected, but I'm sure it will be worth it at the end of the day.

Well, back on the post's topic. I have figured out what the issue was with the last breeding season, so this time, and for future breedings, I have it sorted now.

Thanks for the comments all, and will keep you all posted.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pytoxic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks that helped a lot! I originally thought of corns but I don't really like them for some reason so I decided on BHS. My dad can get me some reject Pacific Chiller cooler boxes (Just a few scratches) which I can turn into a incubator. How is the one girl with the missing eye doing?
Thanks
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 pm

No worries. Just make a well-educated decision. There are lots of snake species and morphs out there, so your possibilities are limitless.

The "pop-eyed" one had it's first meal where it constricted, and swallowed all on it's own. The eye cap is still very blackish, but I have seen the pupil moving and expanding/contracting under it. I'm sure she is going to have a major growth spurt, one of these days, and exceed the other siblings in a special way. But : Time will tell...
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 am

Hey all,

Roland, this one is for you... After all the issues, and problems with this little one, it finally decided to constrict and eat on it's own for the FIRST time since she was hatched! I was so over the moon! This one is quite far behind the others as far as growth and such is concerned, but has pulled through some serious issues, and is the most placid of the lot. The eye is unfortunately not in focus, but I did some tests using a small single LED flashlight, and my fingers, to judge whether the pupil responds to light and dark by contracting and expanding, which it did do. I then used my hand on the "blind" side, and wiggled my fingers, and immediately got a response of head moving and focusing on my fingers, with tongue flicking.

Roland, this little one is waiting for you! All you need to do is grow it up, and get it breeding. ;) I'll keep on pusing the meals, to get it to a better point of health/weight, before you come up this side of the world. Unfortunately with the issues she had, her feeding regime was quite sporadic (to keep stress levels down during medication and treatments), but she is gaining fast, and should be a fat little worm by the time you get here.

Thanks for looking all!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Well, yesterday (05/01/2014) was D-day, as I had calculated, and when I got home yesterday afternoon at about 17:30, I was greeted by this :

Just arrived in the big, bad world

Coming out slowly

Today, I checked on the eggs, and found this one out, and about, so pop sexed it (It's a BOY!), wiped it down, and put it in the rack

Pipped the rest of the eggs, and it seems that there are only 3 in total. Will wait for the last two to pop out, and see what happens before I dissect the last of the eggs. The mouldy eggs that have discoloured are all duds as far as I can see. Will post dissection pics here tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!
Enjoy!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Congrats on the babies! In 2012 I also only got 3 babies out of about 13 eggs with my first time ever breeding Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons. This year I managed 8 out of 12 eggs, so hoping next year is better for you as well.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)