Mozambique Flame Bellied Lizards

Mozambique Flame Bellied Lizards

Postby Spoon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:51 pm

I bought a pair of these a while back from one of the expos. Very nice little guys and they've become incredibly tame both of them will eat out of my hand no problems. They do look suspiciously more like regal girdled lizards but thats besides the point. I opened their enclosure to go feed them this morning and I noticed two tiny little lizards running around and upon closer inspection it looks like they've had babies! Does anyone know if this species gives live birth? Because I have not seen any eggs.
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mozambique Flame Bellied Lizards

Postby Mitton » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:10 pm

That's very exciting, congrats!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mongoose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:14 pm

All Cordylus give birth to live young.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Spoon you quite possibly have the first second generation captive bred babies ever. They will look after the babies unless they are stressed or hungry in which case you have a problem. Usually the adults eat like pigs so this should not be a problem keeping them well fed.

I am really pleased because this species is extremely endangered and I was upset when so many arrived in SA all those years ago. I am pretty sure yours are from the babies that were born shortly after they arrived. If you go look what size their range covers it is minute.

Pat yourself on the back and next time we meet up I will buy you a beer.

Now post the pictures!!!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gino » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:18 am

WOW cool, i also found another little one in between the Cordylus cataphractus colony :) im stoked :)
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Spoon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Bushviper wrote:Spoon you quite possibly have the first second generation captive bred babies ever. They will look after the babies unless they are stressed or hungry in which case you have a problem. Usually the adults eat like pigs so this should not be a problem keeping them well fed.

Getting these guys to eat is certainly not an issue I'm more worried about the possibility of overfeeding them? Should I seperate the babies from the parents?

Bushviper wrote:I am really pleased because this species is extremely endangered and I was upset when so many arrived in SA all those years ago. I am pretty sure yours are from the babies that were born shortly after they arrived. If you go look what size their range covers it is minute.

Pat yourself on the back and next time we meet up I will buy you a beer.

Wow... I wasn't even trying to get them to breed I was just keeping them as pets :-) Is there anyone else around that keeps these guys?

Bushviper wrote:Now post the pictures!!!

Yep I'll try do that this weekend :-)
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:32 pm

You most probably bought them from me. Congrats!!

You can keep them together, in the wild they live together as a family.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:50 pm

EDDY wrote:You most probably bought them from me. Congrats!!

You can keep them together, in the wild they live together as a family.

What about inbreeding though? I don't want the babies to grow up and mate with the parents...
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Congrats spoon. I had mine as adults for about 3 years and neer had them breed so that is great news. Please post pics of the babies.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NyMpHoNuGGeT » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Hey

Spoon are you interested in selling the babies? or the parents maybe?!

I used to breed them a while ago.

Bryan
And my mom keeps wondering where her kittens are going?!!
Bryan ;-)
NyMpHoNuGGeT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm not really looking to sell any of them anytime soon to be honest. The only thing I would consider right now is swapping the babies for babies of the same species. Just to get fresh genes.
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 pm

It never happened without the pics....
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EXOTIXSA » Fri May 08, 2009 7:51 am

My Flame Bellies seem to come out at night more than daytime, they aren't nocturnal are they?
EXOTIXSA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 am

@ Spoon - awesome, I bet you never expected a bonus when buying the two adults. For you it was JACKPOT time.
Congrats
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Nope these are not nocturnal lizards and possibly feel threatened during the day. Close half of the front of the cage and let them get used to the movement outside. Possibly you are feeding crickets which are more active at night which is making them switch their hunting time?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to African Lizards