BLACK THROAT OR WHITE THROAT MONITOR

BLACK THROAT OR WHITE THROAT MONITOR

Postby OUVOLK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 pm

GOOD DAY, I AM IN MPUMALANGA AND I SEE THAT YOU CAN BUY ALOT OF MONITORS OVER THE NET OR IN PETSTORES,AND MOST LIZZARDS ARE AVAILABLE IN MPUMALANGA, IGUANA'S, BOCH, AND ALL OTHER MONITORS!! I AM LOOKING AT A BLACK THROAT MONITOR, BUT WHAT IS THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN A BLACK THROAT, A WHITE THROAT AND A CAPE BANDID MONITOR? AND MOST PEOPLE THAT I HAVE SPOKEN TO SAY THAT NO PERMITS ARE NEEDED FOR BLACK THROATS, I HAVE EVEN SPOKEN TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS EXOTIC AND INDIGINOUS PET LAWS, AND HE SAID THAT NO PERMIT IS NEEDED,BACAUSE IT IS FROM TANZANIA, BUT PERMITS ARE NEEDE FOR INDIGINOUS SPECIES, BUT ALL OF THEM SEEM TO BE SUBSPECIES WITH LITTLE AND SOMETIMES NO DIFFEREANCE IN COLOUR OR SHAPE,THEY CAN INTERBREED AND I KNOW THAT THERE ARE DIFFERANCES IN OPINION ABOUT THE SUBSPECIES, MOST SELLERS EVEN CLASIFY THEM AS ONS SPESIES! CAN ANYONE PLEASE ASSIST!
OUVOLK
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BLACK THROAT OR WHITE THROAT MONITOR

Postby Lillypod » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Please don't type in caps... I can't answer your question though, but caps are annoying.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm

A bit of research goes a looong way. Personally i think you should rather get either get Varanus exanthematicus or Varanus acanthurus as they don't get as big. V. albigularis gets extremely big and without proper handling from a young age can be quite bitey. Have you considered what it will cost to feed one of these animals? Have you considered where you are going to house it once its the size of a small crocodile?. Rather go overboard with your own personal research and then ask questions here. Also if no one replies it does not mean you have to re post 3 times. And please turn off your CAPS!!!!!!!!!. Varanids shouldn't be kept by inexperienced keepers in my opinion. And if you do manage to get a hold of this species dont try interbreed/ hybridise them theyre pretty enough already! :smt021 . You will just make what we call in Zulu a 'GODOI!' or as BV likesto put it a bastard!.
Regards the Poobsta
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Forgot to add, Why do you want a monitor? Have you considered an iguana or bearded dragon?
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby OUVOLK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm

poobsta wrote:Forgot to add, Why do you want a monitor? Have you considered an iguana or bearded dragon?

I did do my research well enough on size and diet and cage size, I am ne here and sorry bout the caps, my caps is always on, i have good knowladge on iguana's, bred them and i've bred alot of indiginous and exotic snakes, you did not answer my quoestion about the permits, that all i need to know, and if you read carefully you will notice, i didnt say i want to crossbread, i said that they can do it and most people in the trade sell all subspecies as one specie!
OUVOLK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I Can See this get Intresting.... :twisted:
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby johan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 pm

That is well said OUVOLK. Wish people would read properly and answer what is been asked and not just give their 2cents about it.
johan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Ouvolk, as you said black throats are just a sub species. the main difference is they get much larger compared to white throats (the local albigularis species

As for everyone saying how monitors should only be kept by experienced keepers.... they require A LOT less maintenance than an iguana...iguanas can inflict way more damage than most monitors available in SA. Personally iguana are the worst suggestion for a beginner which OUVOLK seems to not be. It's was first post, and he is not typing in caps in his second post...please give him a break...he asked avery good question which obviously took research to get to.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I agree, it's just caps make it hard for me to read for some reason. I want to get a bosc (savanna) monitor.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby OUVOLK » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 am

Johan, thanks if people read carefully and answer accordingly, much more would be accomplished instead of argueing.

monopeltis, thanks, i really need an answer, i have spoken to numerous people in the herp society and nature conservation, and i cant get a clear answer, it truely is a beautiful animal, its a baby, about 25-30cm, very dark all over with a black throat,neck,lips and nose, it is currently on a 6day insect diet that is fed live so it must hunt to stay active,and the 7the day a calsium powder and lean meat mixture, untill it is a year it will stay on this diet,there is a 10% uva/uvb light in, basking light and red night light, with a constant 25 degree heating pad, and a large water dish for saoking,is it sufficient?
i dont have a photo of the animal yet as it is still with its owner,but i have seen it, i did alot of research and it seems that the owner is taking very good care of all his animals, i dont want to take the chance of getting such a lovely animal and then getting in to trouble, the only law that permits me from getting it is if it is mistaken for our normal white throat or cape bandid by nature conservation!
If anyone knows anything about the permits or laws in more detail, please assist!

Lillypad, I wont tipe in cabs again!
thanks!!!
OUVOLK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

Well if this person has the animal legally he would be able to tell you what species it is as this is on the permit. He would also be able to show you the parents if this is a baby. Nobody has ever imported Black throated monitors legally. My request was turned down because the species looks so similar to ours and the authorities then do not allow their import.

If the animal is on permit you just need to apply for an import (if it is outside the province) or a transport permit (if it is inside your province).

I have seen numerous V. albigularis (Cape or White throated monitor) that have black under their throats. There is no difference between a White throated and a Cape banded monitor. They are the same species.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby OUVOLK » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Bushviper
thank you very much, that really helps me alot, if the animals are in the province and it is not on permit, should i pass then on the deal, because one of the herps in mpumalanga said that it is legal to keep it!
OUVOLK
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African Lizards