Geckos Not Eating: Desperately Need Help

Geckos Not Eating: Desperately Need Help

Postby megan111 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:33 am

Hi All

I am in desperate need of help.

I adopted this gecko, Alexis, from someone.

Here is a brief history: she lost her tail about 8 months ago and her eating decreased. When I got her, I knew nothing about geckos but have been trying to change things a step at a time with her. She started eating a cricket a month regularly. I need to start increasing the eating but not sure how. I put food in front of her and usually, she doesnt even notice it. If it catches her attention, she may lose interest or go for it. Besides for the eating, she has a lot of energy, drinks water a bit and when she sees me, she comes to greet me and will come on my hand to pick her up.

She is sharing a tank with another gecko Boris. Boris is pretty scared of people. So i avoid too much interaction with him. He eats regularly, sheds about once a week and is a good fat size.

These are some assumptions, correct me where I am wrong: I dont think it could be parasites or it will be both of them? I assuming the temperate and cage is ok? If it was stress, maybe she wouldnt be coming to me? As for fighting, I havent seen them fight or interact much. They usually stay in separate hides.

I have bought some darrows solution for the water and put calcium on the food when they eat. The guy also gave me some disinfectant for her tail...but not sure its infected but it still hasnt grown back

any suggestions of what to do?
megan111
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Geckos Not Eating: Desperately Need Help

Postby Danie Burger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 am

Hi

Try putting them each in their own enclosure, I have had males blocking females to go to the food dish.
Offer her a veriety of food, some mealworms, superworms or raoches.

My female that does not want to eat is so fussy she only eats male turkstan roaches.

Well that was what worked for me, the nice thing with her being in her own enclosure and you offering
different food is that the food (not crickets) can be left in a bowl in the cage with her, remember they are
nocturnal so hopefully she will eat more if you leave the food overnight.
Danie Burger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Am I missing something or did you say the gecko eats one cricket in a month ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 am

What geckos are they? If they are geckos collected from the wild I suggest you release them.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby megan111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm

They leopard geckos. They tame...wont survive if i let them go. The one eats about 8 huge worms a week, they other about a cricket or two a month.

I dont feed them in the tank. They dont seem to eat when I leave food there. The food sits there the whole night. I usually take them out and feed them separate... should I separate them still you think?

So thanks for the replies... got a new thing i need advice on. I spoke to a vet about them. shes given me meds for parasites, worms and infections... like 5 different meds. Is that not too much for her to give it in once sitting?
megan111
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 pm

That's definitely not enough.

Seperating them would be a good idea. As for the medication and dosage, check with your vet.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby megan111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

how much should they be eating?

I have asked the vet, i am just being cautious of overloading her with too much meds. is it not excessive to give 5 meds for three different disorders at once? if it is its parasites or worms, wouldnt they both be sick?
megan111
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:53 am

I have never kept Leos, but I have kept other gecko species with similar requirements.

Firstly I would say separate the geckos. Often one bullies the other or simply dominates the "territory" so it's better to give each their own private space.

Secondly, I would suggest switching from crickets to mealworms, wax worms, phoenix worms etc. With a gecko as weak as yours (the one that only feeds once a month) actively hunting becomes impossible and she is burning a lot more calories and that could possibly be why she is not feeding. Place a shallow dish (I have used the lids of Koo food jars) in the cage and place some appropriate sized worms in there and leave her alone. I suggest smaller food items for a weaker animal. And make sure you gutload and dust your mealworms.

Often over-handling also plays a role in a weak/sick animal, so try to leave her in peace to feed at her own pace. Once she is fit and healthy you can start handling again.

If you have a digital camera, I suggest posting pictures of the geckos as well as the enclosure in which you are keeping them.

Cheers
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby megan111 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Awesome:-) where do I get food variety? I've been to three exotic pet stores and i Can only get crickets n worms
megan111
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African Lizards