Two Male Iguanas

Two Male Iguanas

Postby cvanvollenstee » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Hello,

I have a male Iguana in my cage. My girl friend wants to get another male iguana for herself.

Will it be advisable to put them togehter. I have read its okay to put two males together just not two males and 1 female.

Thanks In advanced.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Two Male Iguanas

Postby wimpievanzyl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi I am no expert in iguanas but my advice would be to never put 2 males together because in many other species of lizard
the males will fight and possibly kill or injure on another.
wimpievanzyl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 am

Nope rather get a female for the male. Two males will not like being in such close proximity.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kostantine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Not only 2 male, but even a pair can't live together except IF there are double chances in to the terrarium, and for pairs it is better to live parted except of season they breed (and part again). This is because Green Iguanas are highly territorial animals. In the case of a pair, they may live together under specific situations.

This means

A big enough terrarium to host 2 adult specimens and even more in a way that they can be in distance. This means a cage of 9x6x7 the minimum, with:

• 2 different chances for basking spots in a logical distance in a way not to disturb lizards each other. Each of these spots must have the appropriate branches for each lizard to sit easily and bask.
  • 2 different chances for UVA/UVB exposure. This means as above, in a logical distance in the same way. Each of these spots must have the appropriate branches for each lizard to sit easily and bask fluorecent radiation.
  • 2 different food source locations. These lizards are territorial. Even in terrariums with a single lizard, you see that very often the lizard protects its food dish, sitting on it.

All above spots, must be in the same height and the same easy to use, else lizards could fight for the highest and most usefull spot (best spot) for sure!

These things are documented.

Good luck!
http://reptibrowser.com/
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi guys,
I dont want to hijack this post but you very commonly see baby iguanas kept in the same cage, they do some times nip at each other but nothing to hectic. My question is at what age will they start to fight and seriously hurt each other

Regards
Aadil.
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kostantine » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi,

my personal conclusion is that they start to demonstrate partly territorial signs from the early juvenile ages. For example, they may experience small bites. Unfortunately, this is enough to produce serious housing probs. Watch sometimes in pet-trade cages, occasionaly some iguanas experience missing fingers and/or tails parts. This may also occur by other causes, but of a bite too. The sure is that after the distinct presence of the femoral pores (and gender indentification respectively), it is almost impossible to house them together.

Best wishes,
Kostantine
http://reptibrowser.com/
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American Lizards