Help needed with Iguana

Help needed with Iguana

Postby cvanvollenstee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 am

Hello all,

I have an Iguana and his spikes are busy deteriorating very slowly. As you can see in this photo some of them have broken off and others are almost hollow inside and look like they are going to go soon.

I feed him a lot of calcium and vitamins but is still happening. He is shedding and eating normally.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you in advance.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help needed with Iguana

Postby kostantine » Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Hello,

Hmm, I see that this post has been posted on January, however I would like to know more about this.
Could you, post us a photo of the head of the animal and the terrariums' roof please?

If the heating sources are too close, move them away for 10-15 cm more. If the same sources are extremely strong, choose a distance that can heat the animal but can't burn it. One sign that the animal gets too much hot is too frequent defecation. In cases that the animal lives in a small cage and it has not the chance to move in another spot to thermocontrol its body the above is something you must consider.

Considering that the animal is white, that means that it is extremely hot and it changed its coloration to stop absorbing heat.

If nothing of the above is happening please call a vet.

Yours,
Kostantine.
http://reptibrowser.com/
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help needed with Iguana

Postby cvanvollenstee » Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 am

Hello,

What happend is that the Iguana was not drinking water and was dehidrated, so when they do not drink water or get enough through their food the spikes starts to dry out and brake of litle bit at a time.

So what I did was I got a sirange and start squerting water into his mouth and after a while he started drinking again and now he is healthy again.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American Lizards