Heloderma horridum exasperatum (Rio Fuerte Beaded Lizards)

Heloderma horridum exasperatum (Rio Fuerte Beaded Lizards)

Postby kostantine » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello,

well met.

They named me Kostantine (even they didn't ask me..). I am newborn in SA Reptiles forums. I keep a green iguana and 4 Beaded Lizards. I would like to introduce myself with this first post to offer you some pictures of my beaded lizard pet reptiles as more unusual pets. All animals are raised of 2-3 months except 1, and are brutal feeders on mouses, rats, and sometimes calf fatless meat (heart part). The environment cages are handmade because I needed something in specific dimensions. I offer them hot basking spot of 35C and cool area of 23C. They need 45-50% humidity, but they require a humidity box of 80% 2-3 times a week, so I soak the nests (tree barks) in to the bathroom. Al photos are shooted of a Canon DSLR like..

I hope you enjoy the pics! Please feel free to post your opinion. Thank you.

And some general pics of their artificial environment:

http://reptibrowser.com/
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heloderma horridum exasperatum (Rio Fuerte Beaded Lizard

Postby shadowfoot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Awesome animals you have there, I love beaded lizards.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kostantine » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Hello,

I would like to thank you too for your kindly response.

This is a trully extraordinary lizard specie. When I was begining to keep them, purchasing the first lizard, I was strictly against hot reptiles for hobbists without a reptile room. Three years after, I haven't changed my mind on venomous animals but, I have assorted venomous reptiles in two individual teams, the hot reptiles which are appropriate for keeping even in the living room and the team of gifted reptiles which are only for display. The second team is the one that needs a reptiles room. The Heloderma family belongs to the first team, and they are lizards that they would never give a bite except if they would become extremely stressed or annoyed by someone or if the handlers hands have touched prey food.

In my daily interaction with them, I handle them with no protective measures, except if they are hungry so there is a possibility to get a bite.

Also, check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIEtywENU1I
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Those animals are in very good condition. Have you had any luck with breeding them?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kostantine » Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 am

Hi Bush,

Bushviper wrote:Those animals are in very good condition. Have you had any luck with breeding them?

no, not yet because they're yet too young. The first I purchased becomes adult on January so it would be ready for 2013. The other 3 specimens need 1+1/2 year for this stage, but I will hibernate them this upcoming winter for good health.

I suppose with 4 lizards, I have at least 1 pair but I can't tell yet. Unfortunately, the dimorphism of Helodermas is similar to big parrots. They need a DNA test or too much patience.

Time will reveal the mystery.
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kostantine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi,

today I have some new photos. Enjoy!

kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kostantine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:46 am

I've got some new frames of my pet lizards.

kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby coral snake » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Wow dude!!!! Those are my dream pets!!!! How are their agression towards humans??? How available are they in SA???
Brown House snake 0.2
Corn snake normal 3.1
Corn snake Albino 0.1
Leopard Gecko 0.0.1
Western Hognose 1.0
White lipped Tree viper 1.1
Yellow anaconda 1.0
Bahai scarlet birdeater 0.1
Fire Red birdeater 0.1
Curly hair 0.1
Chilean rose 0.1

-Alex Parsons
coral snake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kostantine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am

Currently, very friendly. The adult male does not stress anymore. Most clever of all four animals. Some flicking and he knows everything around. Actually, this guy cares about nothing but food. He's not negative with handling, but I realize that he will not miss the chance for an undergoing escape when he's freelancing out of cage. The other are sub-adults and they seem to be very cool. They need more work to improve as pets. This is time-dependance.

I don't know the current law to keep similar animals in SA. Due to their high adaptive capacity, I suppose they're not. I don't even know if anyone breeds beaded lizards wider in Africa. Sorry.
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby coral snake » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am

Ah that a shame :( but still they would make a worthy pet :)
Brown House snake 0.2
Corn snake normal 3.1
Corn snake Albino 0.1
Leopard Gecko 0.0.1
Western Hognose 1.0
White lipped Tree viper 1.1
Yellow anaconda 1.0
Bahai scarlet birdeater 0.1
Fire Red birdeater 0.1
Curly hair 0.1
Chilean rose 0.1

-Alex Parsons
coral snake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 am

Great animals, they look very healthy and happy.

Coral, there are a handful of guys keeping these in RSA (probably no more than 5 people). Not sure if anyone has bred, but they are certainly around.

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10232&hilit=beaded
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kostantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks westley,

they are indeed very healthy at the moment. I haven't hibernated them this year, but because of the period they sleep all of the day. They don't even drink the usual they do. I will upload more photos next month after the awake. The good news are that on March comes to me another baby horridum of a friends clutch. New 1-2 month baby, probably 2-3 times fed and shed. I already started to build a new cage for it.
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 am

Congratulations on the new baby! They are really awesome.

How do you treat them when feeding/cleaning? Do you treat them like venomous or just like aggressive lizards?

The few times what I have seen these lizards they have been very calm and relaxed. I would be tempted to handle them, although I know that is not the smartest thing to do.

I often envy the "European style" of keeping reptiles with natural terrariums. In South Africa we have a more "American style" of keeping reptiles; very artificial, but efficient enclosures.

I guess each method has their own benefits and drawbacks, but for sure your natural enclosures look awesome!

Please share more pictures when your new baby arrives.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kostantine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

Thanks.

No, in a general view they are calm reptiles. When they are young and more aggresive, the truth is, that there is a danger of get bit if not cautious. So, I use a heavy duty glove pair for protection. They have not so long teeth to bite through this. But as they grow older, they get more positive to handling. Progressively, they start to flick on your hand if approached gently, so they start to recognize the keeper, and when they don't afraid anymore they are trying to get out of the cage to inhale some fresh air. If after that, get bitten, the mistake is of the keeper. For example, if you touch or handle rats or food and haven't wash hands well and twice they may bit you.

My conclusion on decoration is that it isn't so critically important for a healthy pet, but undoubtly it may lowers the stress a reptile may experience. The great negative on natural terrarium in my opinion is that needs much more work for cleaning after pooping. When, for example, a beaded lizards' excrements infect fake plants and cork bark, you must clean almost all the cage and furnitures. On the other hand, I have seen hobbists give up and abandon the reptile keeping hobby, because they haven't someting to satisfy their sight, or they never saw their animal climb a branch, dig, borrow or trying to hide in his environment. I think it is nonsense to keep 3-4 animals in white plastic boxes with newspaper as people with multi-numbered collections do, saving space and time.
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby suspectum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 pm

very nice animals ,we have something very intresting in one of our incubators at the moment ive looked after them for 6 months and today is the day it starts ill keep you all posted as they arrive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suspectum
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to American Lizards