Uromastyx disaster in saudi arabia (photos are graphic)

Re: Uromastyx disaster in saudi arabia (photos are graphic)

Postby gaboon69 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I think the difference might be that the frequency and numbers of antelope hunting are managed and controlled by game farmers. If this can be controlled then why not?
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Yup... its a good point gaboon69.

I suppose all we can do is hope that something could be done to at least "manage" this corectly!

What are the breeding habits of this species and how many young do they re produce in a year? Questions like these need to be asked, as i'm sure this is a common sight there. I would also imagine that this practise has been going on decades, as it seems to be their culture. So can the population handle it, or is it just a metter of time, before they are wiped out?!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:30 pm

I feel that this is just not right because these lizzards are definately taken out of the wild. It is not like there is no other food available in Saudi Arabia as it is not a poverty stricken country or one that has a famine problem. Muslims are not supposed to eat predatory animals but because the uromastyx is not technically a carnivore and this lizzard is considered a delicacy. Even though our prophet himself (PBUH) refused to eat this meat the mere fact that he did not stop others from eating it led them to believe that it is permissable (halaal) to consume.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:38 pm

I wanted to touch on that subject, and am glad that you explained it Rishaad. I was wondering if the lizards were considerd "halaal", as the majority of the population there is Muslim!
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rubida » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Uromastyx spp. are new grounds for me, but if those are from S-Arabia and taking in mind their size (excluding the photo with the body comparison as you can see the other persons hand in the photo holding it up closer to the camera) it fits the profile of U.aegyptica microlepis.
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby madrule2002 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 pm

i just want to do the best way to save them and i know if we talk about halaal as rishaad said we can say ok
but if u have another food and u can eat a beef or fish or chicken = we dont have any reason to eat the lizard
and this is happened in middle of saudia arabia
about the pics i did not take it by my self no i downloaded from website and to be honest with u i saw by my eyes a people they eat this lizard

what i am trying to say i want to safe this lizard and protect the species cuz i want the next and next and next generations to see this beautiful lizard live

if u asked me now what is your dream i will answer you and say i want to see the Dinosaurs live in front of my eyes

i dont want next generations to answer the same Q and say (we want to see the Uromastyx lizard live in front of our eyes)

thats way we have to safe all the animals for the next generations

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN :

if i am crazy pls tell me i just want all of u to know i love all animals more than my self and i will spend my life to safe them and serf them and i will keep fight for them and to be honest with u all (i know that i am bad in english ) but i learn from u allot of good things and i just want i love all of u and i just want to tell u you are my best friend and my family and i hope one day i can see u all and i love south africa and all the african people black or whit muslim or non muslim , male or female , rich,or poor(like me lol) and i loved all your comments and your advise and forgave me if i disturb u with my topics and with my poor english thanx allot and i will keep u update all the time with my case
madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Haha..you cant keep a good man down hey? Your heart is in the right place man. Dont you have some nature conservation department/body in your area? If so, then go have a talk with them.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby riderx48 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 pm

or even try and find a way to make people believe it's not Halaal. But can't they make it Halaal by praying or something?
I have a dream for the future of my snakes and I will do anything to make it possible
riderx48
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 am

How do you intend farming an animal that has so few babies? With the exception of farming iguanas (mainly babies for the pet trade) nobody farms any lizards as a food source. These animals are going to be wiped out at this rate. To say this has been going on for centuries is just stupid. So has whale hunting and bison hunting as well. Most animals will become extinct without protection and management and this is obviously not happening here. All Uromastyx are on CITES app II for a reason.

Madrule go see the guys in charge of conservation or else have some religious leader speak out against this. That is the best.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Asian Lizards