South of France herps(Identification please)

South of France herps(Identification please)

Postby steve » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Hey guys! Been a while since iv posted anything, iv been working in the south of France for the past 2 months.
Missing my animals back in S.A like crazy, a friend of mine is taking care of them for me, and I cant wait to get back and see how things are progressing. IV been told that there’s been some breeding behavior going on, so that’s exciting news.
Anyway not much herp action out here, was wondering if anyone could identify these guys for me.
They are fairly common around where I stay.
I caught a glimps of a green colored snake a few weeks back in the French alps, it was down a hole before I could even reach for my camera.
I was told by a chap that was working there, that there’s 3 species of viper that inhabit the area, I really wish I could have seen one, the chap told me he saw a big female viper basking on rock not 3 days before I got there, anyway he didn’t know the names of the species, just that they were vipers. Alas no luck on the snake side.
Cheers for now.

unknown Gecko? they get fairly large, and they are nocturnal.

Image Image Hosting

Image Image Hosting

Image Image Hosting

unknown Lizard?

Image Image Hosting

Image Image Hosting

Image Image Hosting
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Re: South of France herps(Identification please)

Postby WW » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:44 pm

The gecko is a juvenile Tarentola mauritanica, the lizard looks like Podarcis muralis, but there may be other species - where in southern France are you?
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 pm

thanks WW. im staying near Monaco in a small town called Antibes. iv seen this lizard species in Italy aswel. they seem fairly common.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aluston » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 am

Also lizard may be Lacerta agilis. This species has many subspecies and very variable in textures. What size of this specimen?
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:20 am

Definitely Podarcis muralis. There are a few other Podarcis in the SW of France, but not near Antibes. Lacerta agilis is much more robust, has a larger head, and the body is much less flattened.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aluston » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Unfortunately I didn't made photos of juvenile lizards Lacerta agilis which I have keeping now at home. They looks like on the picture. :) But on the picture the lizard has a different tail.
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Asian Lizards