Frilled Lizard not eating

Re: Frilled Lizard not eating

Postby Vermillon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Hmmmmm okay.... i think it will take longer then 48 days to see whether he will eat or not i know my male didnt eat for about 2 weeks but i can understand ure stress.
Best advise i can say is take him to the vet at your earliest convienence.

Wish ya luck mate and please keep us advised.
" May It Be "
Vermillon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Moreliahunter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:31 am

Forget everything you have read on the internet. Frilled lizards need a basking site of up to 50 C. They live in the northern territory and new guinea. Usually low temperatures stop them feeding and a change in Light cycle. Most of my frillies eat once a week. People seem to think they can feed these lizards every day, they dont have to eat every day. I feed my adults the canned grasshoppers from exo terra and thats all. Pink mice harm them more than they do them good. Once in a blue moon is OK. Mercury Vapour lamps are the most ideal UV lights to use over these animals. Send me a PM if you need to know more.
Regards
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stiffy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Guys,

The male continued his eating strike 3 days after the removal of the female. Saturday (3 days after) I was in a garden and saw a butterfly which caught, the male immediately devoured the butterfly. This was the only Insect it ate in about 12 days which is kinda weird to me as it refuses crickets and super worms.....

My temperature in the basking area is about 40 degrees C.

As far as their lighting goes, we experienced some interruptions the past few months. A timer controls the whole setup.
Stiffy
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Australasian Lizards