Blue tongued skinks question

Blue tongued skinks question

Postby URSULA » Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I have recently got 2 blue tongued skinks and I would like to know, can you add bearded dragon pellets to their normal food? I have googled and it has been mentioned before but I would like to know from someone who has BTS and what they think.
Also what herbs make good snacks? I am starting a herb and veggie garden would be nice to have home grown food for them. Any tips would be appreciated.
URSULA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Blue tongued skinks question

Postby boing » Tue May 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Enjoying your new pets? They seriously are very cute!!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Blue tongues will eat almost anything. They nibble on most greenery and like sweet ripe fruits like mango and paw paw. They need lots of greenery though and will leave this if meaty food is available so rather feed them greens in the morning and protien in the afternoon.

You can feed beardie pellets without worrying too much. The diets are fairly similar. They love snails so give them some that come from a poison free area every now and again. Those and slightly boiled eggs are their favorite foods.

Mine love black jacks and mulberry leaves too. I just prefer feeding mixed veggies and whatever nice fruits I have at the time. Those mixers things with the rotating blades they advertise on TV work well. Twice a week they get tinned dog food. Just a few scoops though or else they dont eat their veggies. As adults they relish pinkies or fuzzies once every two weeks.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby URSULA » Tue May 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you for that
Since we cannot keep Beardies here I am not familiar with their diets at all. I have got lists of preferred food of the net but I have now been though must of the organic veggi farmers here and they do not grow things like mustard greens etc. However I am starting my garden this weekend now I need to find some seedlings!
As to snails I put down Snail ban a few weeks ago as they were eating my succulents and salt was not working! I can kick myself now but I will get some from a friend of mine. As to your mixed veggies which brand or mix do you use?
@ Boing: My Boerbull is scared of them and barks all night at their cage :lol:
URSULA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Any brand of frozen mixed veggies that have carrots, beans, pattypans and baby marrows sort of mixture will work. The rest is not too critical. Just have a look what is in season and offer them that. They will decide what they like. Nasturtiums are also nibbled on. Take away any poisons in the garden and then wait a month before feeding snails. I get so cross with the gardener when he destroys my snails. He thinks I am crazy, same when he sees me freak out if he goes near the black jacks and dandelions.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Zookeeper » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:38 pm

I feed mine Hills Cat pellets Adult Light works best because its low fat.
Zookeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zookeeper » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:19 pm

A few of my babies

Fixed
Code: Select all
[img]http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/17010/thumb_phpwmu5gQAM.jpg[/img]
altered to ->
[img]http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/17010/phpwmu5gQAM.jpg[/img]
Zookeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards