An unexpected clutch

An unexpected clutch

Postby Trentonskeeper » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 pm

So this afternoon while I was giving my girl Lemon a bath she suprised the hell out of me and laid 2 eggs in my hand. I thought they were the first white bit of poop that had come out looking and feeling odd until more came out....incase you could not tell, I had no idea she was Preggy or about to lay eggs. Nor was I breeding or even planning on breeding with her. I kinda spazzed out when i realized what they were and called hubby over to help since they just kept coming and coming. :lol:

We were not set up for a clutch, no Vermiculite or incubator or any experience whatsoever with this but once the eggs were here we knew would would do everything in our power to save my Lemmies babies cause her and Butter are the most special dragons with lovely natures ever. So we grabbed some beach sand we use in their tanks and placed them inside and on a heating pad and started desperately calling around to see where we could buy a incubator. Not much open late on a Ssturday afternoon but we got hold of a chap at Reptile Haven or City (not sure which) who told us to make our own incubator and gave us a website to look at, which we did and rushed out to the hardware/pet supply / plastics factory shops to buy the necessary supplies and came home and had it all ready within 3 hours of the eggs being delivered.

What a rush but we now seem to have a water incubator set up and appear to have things in hand (hubby's really good with sorting this all out) and there sit the eggs. Now what to do? How long till we know if we were fast enough to save them? Do we just wait to see if they start smelling? Also what to do once they hatch (if they hatch) I have no clue at all since we are not breeders and did not expect this at all. I am not handing my Lemmies babies off to crappy pet stores nor do want to sell them to make money, would rather home them with People who know dragons and will give them good homes so ow do I go about that?

What are the chances of them even hatching? I mean really, laid in water? That can't be good right? Are there any care sheets of breeding dragons I can look at to help with this all?

Thank you. Gosh I always seem to have a 1000 questions...sorry but I am still learning as I go. Did not expect breeding since I separated Lemon and Butter but guess I was wrong. Also I read that if all the eggs don't come out of her it can cause issues, how do I check if they are out? I did not even know they were in :oops: so how the heck do I feel if they are out. I thought she was just fattening up for the winter and putting on a few grams, but now she is back to her skinny previous self and her skin is dull as anything. Her lovely lemon colour is gone and she seems so weak and flat. Gave her a whole bunch of Dubia's ts afternoon which she munched so fast and some crickets too but still she seems pap. Is there anything I can do for her?
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: An unexpected clutch

Postby Shaun P » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:24 am

Give her some soaking to get hydrated. If you have the incubator set up as directed & if correct the eggs should hatch in 2 months give or take. Been laid in water is not good but if they were taking out quick enough they might have a chance. Are the eggs good, do they have nice white leathery shells to them? If they are yellow and slimy they most probably are not fertile. If she is flat and looks deflated pretty good chance that she got all the eggs out. You can run your fingers gently backwards under her belly and if there are any eggs there you would feel them move when doing this, again very gently. Feed your female plenty of feeders and dust them with calcium and multivitamins to help her with her recovery.
Good luck, lets hope all goes well and you have some little lizards running around in the future.
Regards Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Re: An unexpected clutch

Postby Trentonskeeper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm

The eggs are white and beautiful looking, one seems to have a yellow spot this evening but the others are still totally white.

She had a long soak today and ate about 15 roaches and a handful of mealworms, all dusted in Calcium but her color is still dull though and she has been very still today, she's hardly moved.

Hopefully tomorrow she will perk up. Thanks for the advice . :D
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards