Crested gecko egg cutting

Crested gecko egg cutting

Postby Bjorn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm

This was an awesome experience so I thought I would share it here. Just a pity I wasn't filming it all.

I had a Crested gecko hatch this morning so I kept the other egg close to my PC hoping I could catch it hatching. Now I might have been a bit hasty in my decision but to my experience they seem to hatch the same day. I Have had some die in the egg before.

So I decided I will give this one an opening in the egg if it needs it. I used a small blade used for cutting negatives (film). I made a cut across the top and all this clear liquid came out with a gel blob with veins. Good sign it's still alive! I then pocked the gel ball and it burst, so it was just another sack. The gecko just started moving a lot and all of a sudden cut a back door to make an escape. :shock:

I gently picked it up from the egg and it ran up my arm and jumped to the floor. This little one was raring to go. Lucky his fall wasn't serious. It calmed down so I could get this pic.

I have imported so many of these geckos and I am bummed I sold most of them. The one girl I have got is a champion breeder. I thought she was having a poor season but then I found two babies in the cage and found another two eggs. I have recently had more babies in the cage so I have missed them as she is not using her egg box.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Crested gecko egg cutting

Postby Mitton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Awesome Bjorn, they are just so cute when they have just hatched.
We still have a male that we got from you 4 years ago, think it was from that batch that you imported.
Thanks for sharing.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Stunning Bjorn! Cresties are really stunning gecko's i really need to get myself a few.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 am

Wow he is so beautiful! Such a nice colour!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wimpievanzyl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:43 am

Looking good!
wimpievanzyl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks. They all hatch out this colour and then they turn beige and as they mature they get their adult colours. So you can't always be sure what your getting.

@ Mitton, I am glad you still have him. It's nice that they live for such a long time so you should have him for some more years to come. I will import again one day but I have more important things I need to sort out first. If you have the time I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the one you bought. I imported them twice and in total I think I brought about 75 in. I only sold them to other stalls and maybe 2 walk ins at the expo but they all went. Most people didn't know what they were and I got so many comments about them being dead when they were sleeping as they are nocturnal.LOL
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am

I will take a pic of him this weekend.
My wife and I were saying last night, he looks so different to the female we have, his body is much longer and more slender than the female. His head is also very different from hers, almost like a different sub-species. I will try and get pics of both so you can see.
We were one of the walk ins that bought and it was also the first time we saw them and my wife just had to have one.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bjorn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am

haha yeah I remember. Look forward to seeing the pics. They can differ in body structure. My friend bought a beast from me which as a massive crest.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zophos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow, they are awesome!!

I will hopefully be getting my own at te Jhb Expo next month!

Thanx for a great post!.
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Mae West
Zophos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos