Boomslang (confirmation please)

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Boomslang (confirmation please)

Postby Fooble » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Thats an epic find of that coral nice one.
Was it on the road or what?

Just glad your boomslang incident didnt get ugly.
Good stuff man did you release the snake?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:51 pm

yes mgiddings it could.

Just take it easy man im not quite sure you are in the position to criticise someone being still a novice yourself.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby marc bt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm

They probably could if they could get a good hold (bite) onto the glove.
That is a really nice Coral!
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm

What are you going to do with the Cape Coral?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 pm

marc bt wrote:What are you going to do with the Cape Coral?

Read read read my friend...it didnt make it.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby marc bt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Oh yeah i forgot about that, my bad :)
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Fooble thats why I said, or am I mistaken and please correct me. Good on you for rescuing the snakes and as fooble said, epic find. Sorry if I sound as if I am being rude or am trying to play expert.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Nice finds.
You don't need to take risks like that. Ask someone to take a photo and you could 'control' the snake. Still, you should have no problem photographing tham in an open space in your garden with minimal risks, and the pictures look more natural :).
Stay safe
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cynicman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I do not take offence to anyone here... I am learning, though I am learning faster than my teachers said was possible. Every opportunity I get I am on a snake hunt. I am spending more money on books about snakes than I do on books about Networking, and I am a Network Engineer. Got two friends who are lifetime enthusiasts and between them have more knowledge and experience than I will ever have.

Those gloves are very hard and thick leather... though to my surprise when I tried them on a few days later, I could actually move my fingers. The coral snake kept biting Wesley but the gloves seemed to stop penetration. I have learnt how to work with the sticks and under instruction, I picked the snake up from behind the door and Wesley collect the snake out of the hooks. (It was in someone's (my neighbour) house - and accidently got slammed in a door).

The boomslang is being released later this week at Ilanda Wilds. Organising a professional photographer to come snap some shots of it in the wild. These I'll send to the person who requested them.

The photos of the boomslang are taken by my wife... I am holding the snake with both hands.

The coral was photod by me, but Wesley was holding it.

Honestly, when we took photos of the boom, I seriously thought it was a green snake. Every boom I had seen was a much paler colour. Now that it's in a glass tank and I have a positive ID, I am actually to sh!t scared to take it out. But the tank will fit on my car seat, so I will transport it to the Wilds like that. Will post pics of the release.
Reptiles in my care: 2x Brown House (1x Female, 1x Male - here's hoping), Natal Green Male, 1x Herald, 1x Bearded Dragon Female

Total Pet Count: 26 | Dogs: 4 | Cats: 6 | Rats: 11 | Snakes: 4 | Lizards: 1
And each one is loved!!!
*My wife has lots of patience...

If you love reptiles, you would probably love rodents as well: http://www.sarodents.co.za/
cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I keep Boomslang and Cape corals and I would never free-handle any of them...I always use a hookstick and try to keep my fingers very far away from the "bitie" end...In my opinion using gloves to handle snakes makes you careless(unless its a mamba haha...) and you prob. cant feel exactly how hard you are grabbing the snake and can thus cause injuries ?
Just for interest sake...What was wrong with the coral ?It seems to be ok in the pics ?...
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:09 pm

OOPS !Did'nt see the second page of the desc. haha...now I know what happened to the coral...
STAY SAVE BUD...Till later...
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cynicman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:55 am

in one of the coral pics you can see the blood on it's body... from the belly.
Reptiles in my care: 2x Brown House (1x Female, 1x Male - here's hoping), Natal Green Male, 1x Herald, 1x Bearded Dragon Female

Total Pet Count: 26 | Dogs: 4 | Cats: 6 | Rats: 11 | Snakes: 4 | Lizards: 1
And each one is loved!!!
*My wife has lots of patience...

If you love reptiles, you would probably love rodents as well: http://www.sarodents.co.za/
cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby spinnerak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

cynicman i too am a year into catching..........i too am learning but come hell or high i always take my hook and grabsticks with me.... i been tagged once (whitelipped tree viper) and i swear im not gonna let it happen again... ironically i did a boomer today, very docile but looked kinda suspect in the haze of my first boomer catch so i consulted with BV because the color was different.... dude they got nasty venom, dont take chances because you only have one life so dont throw it away by doing silly stuff...
"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pigeonboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 am

Nope that was my hands and my gloves. been using them for years not even my Puff adder could bite through them
pigeonboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:09 am

Pigeonboy, if you are wreckless enough to let a Puff Adder bite you while wearing only welding gloves, that's your own business.

Just remember there are newcomers to snakes reading this forum and you're giving them the impression that this is okay and safe to do.

Please do not advertise your wrecklessness and keep it behind closed doors.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive