So Boomslang are sexually dimorphic right? (Not)

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

So Boomslang are sexually dimorphic right? (Not)

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 am

For the longest time we have always know Boomslang to be sexually dimorphic to a greater extent with the odd adult displaying mixed colouration. A few weeks ago a male Boomslang was brought into Dragonfire from the Hillcrest area. It was decided to keep the snake in order for it to heal properly as it had been injured.
Anyway today that male Boomslang laid 14 eggs. Maybe we should check before assuming the sexes of the magnificent snakes in future :D

Excuse the picture quality (they were taken with a cr@pberry :smt005 )
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Re: So Boomslang are sexually dimorphic right? (Not)

Postby Fooble » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:45 am

Interesting!

I remember ROB posting a image some time ago about a Green female Boom he found but then again that was in Toti ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Eyelash » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Very interesting indeed...I've heard the same goes for the boomers from the eastern cape.

A masters student at TUKS told me that there is (will be) work being done on Boomslang and they will likely be devided into new species/sub species ???I dont know how true this is but I can see why they would do it...

Thanks for posting...

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Now that is interesting. I have never probed boomslang so i have no idea what those parameters are either.

If this one dies (I dont think it will make it) then please have it deposited in a museum and take DNA as soon as it dies.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Vrakkie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:00 pm

This is really interesting.
Always though the females were duller brown in color.

Wonder if we have any breeders of Boomslang here in SA.Seems to be kind of a not so popular species.I adore them.
Maybe I just miss all the adds.
:smt017
Vrakkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

As kids we once caught the biggest boomslang I have to date seen.It ended up laying a huge cluster of eggs aswell.I must add,it wasn't as vibrant green as this one you got.It looks as though there are a few more eggs to be laid by her?
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Yes we have seen this in our Boomslang in the Eastern Cape as well, where we have had dull brown males and bright green/black and bright yellow black females, maybe check your pairs...or lack there of, if your breeding attemps have failed......very interesting.....will post some pics of this occurence as soon our catching season starts down here....
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 am

Same thing happened to me I the Western Cape with a stunning black and yellow “male” boomslang who ended up laying 9 eggs! Obviously sexual dimorphism is not as clear cut with boomslang as was believed.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Smeegle » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:23 am

Bushviper wrote:Now that is interesting. I have never probed boomslang so i have no idea what those parameters are either.

If this one dies (I dont think it will make it) then please have it deposited in a museum and take DNA as soon as it dies.

I saw this snake on Saturday morning and I did tell Rowan that he must keep it for DNA, to which he agreed.

The snake will have been put in the freezer by now as it was in a very bad state. It has prolapsed and has some bad injuries from where the Jack Russell got hold of it.

What museum would one take it to in KZN?
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:36 am

Smeegle it can have a slice removed for DNA and put into alcohol and the body can be brought to Pretoria and we can get it into the local museum. Bloemfontein would be a better bet though if anyone can get it that way.

The Durban museum does not seem to have a reptile section and you could also try the Natal Museum 237 Jabu Ndlovu Street, Pietermaritzburgat 033-3451404 and see if they really want it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:43 am

Perfect thanks, I'll pass on the info!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Yes please send to Mike Bates at Blom. he would much appreciate this, plus photos.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Chantel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:04 am

I have had at least 5 very green Boomslang that were females and a couple of dark brown males.
Cheers
Gavin
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:45 pm

If someone can hold onto it I can pick it up and bring it up to Bloem the next time I am in Durban?
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Johan Marais » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 am

It is quite well known that one gets both males and females that are green but the majority of green individuals are usually males, as is the case with black and yellow boomslang in the Cape. Yes, there is a phylogeny study on boomslang and they will be split in the near future, probably between the Western Cape and Eastern Cape populations and the rest elsewhere further north. Dr. Mike Bates will welcome specimens for the museum as well as tissue for DNA. Only a small piece of tissue (the size of a match head) is required and should ideally be preserved in absolute ethanol. If you need a vial with alcohol, give me a shout. Cell 0824942039
Johan Marais
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive