Callout season off to a good start

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Callout season off to a good start

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:03 am

A "Smeegle" tube of that length has even been used to catch a black mamba of just over 2.3 metres in length. I have been using these for about 10 years now and prefer them to bags and buckets. They are easy to carry and take up very little space in the boot of the car. There are also no chances that the snake can bite through the container like they do with bags.

Just do not rely on glue only for the cap and the screw lid. Over time they do come loose. Three pop rivets on each just makes sure the snake does not push the whole lid off. You can also drill a few more holes in the side for ventilation. I have also used this for small mongoose and leguaans besides all the snakes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Qball » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:22 pm

To avoid harming the snake I would suggest putting the pop rivets in from the inside of the tube so that the flat dome is on the inside of the tube and not the sharp, squashed end of the rivet.
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:19 am

Qball wrote:To avoid harming the snake I would suggest putting the pop rivets in from the inside of the tube so that the flat dome is on the inside of the tube and not the sharp, squashed end of the rivet.

Yes especially if you want to hammer the end flat.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Is it possible to get a pipe with threads on both ends so that both the ends can have screw caps on. I am going to the hardware store during my lunch break to have a look at what I can get.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

The screw caps are about R60 and the end caps are R9. That's why you only use one.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm

After being subjected to extremely pathetic service from the Build It branch here in Pinetown, I finally have what I need.

Turns out they ordered the incorrect cap ends - they don't fit on the end of the pipe. I had to go for the screw caps on both ends anyway.

Also found out that the brown pipes and fittings differ from the white in terms of UV resistance. The brown one's are meant for underground applications and unfortunately turn brittle in the sun. The white variety is significantly heavier than the brown unfortunately. So...

2 x screw on cap ends, 1 x 750mm PVC pipe, 1 x tube of their best PVC adhesive = R212.00. Only thing left to get is the rivets.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive