Callout season off to a good start

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Callout season off to a good start

Postby Rishaad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I've been awfully quite in these parts of late due to other commitments, so thought I would post something.

Last night at around 9:00pm I received a call from Snakes4Africa asking if I was available for a call out in Chatsworth. He had already been to an Mfezi call out on the same very road a few hours prior just a few doors away.

I shot over to the location and found a whole lot of people (+-20) gathered outside. A few of them were in the room trying to get a better look at the snake. They pointed in the direction of a corner within a very small room full of miscellaneous items. From the doorway I could see a very large Mfezi coiled up in the corner and told them to please step out before someone gets spat in the eyes. They assumed it was a "Sand snake" but quickly exited when I told them what it was. I was also informed that the snake had just swallowed a mouse just before I could get there.

Apart from the room being absolutely small with very little space to move, I also had to contend with very scared people screaming and shouting as I was trying to safely remove the snake while it squirted venom at me constantly. They were however very concerned about my well being which is not something you see all that often, they even gave me a towel to cover my mouth. To make matters worse there was one of these old styled bed bases with the square meshing which the snake was using to its advantage.My goggles was unfortunately in a bad shape with lots of scratches and one of the lenses being loose and falling off and I could barely see through them. I am glad that today I have my full visor :).

All the while I couldn't stop thinking about the recent sad and unfortunate loss of fellow herper Shaun Moolman who passed away after an allergic reaction to spitter venom that got into his mouth.

I didn't have a very big container and also being very tired and sleepy I was not in the mood to bag this Mfezi which was the biggest Ive seen on a call out. Fortunately residents of the property were kind enough to lend me a large bin to put the snake in as long as I promised to return it.

Here is the pic that someone snapped while I was getting the snake into the bin:

I think there are going to be many more Mfezi call outs this season!
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Callout season off to a good start

Postby Bushviper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Nice one. Yeah get new equipment for the new season.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby werner » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 am

Well done, nice snake
werner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 am

Well done Rishaad!

It really is a problem when there are excitable people around. It just seems to add stress to the already stressful situation, and definitely makes the snakes more edgy as well.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Phunk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Well done Rishaad, keep up the good work.
Phunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks guys.

Quick comment for people who might see this pic and think "Look at the way in which this idiot is hurting this poor animal".

The snake was on the ground all the time and was only in the air like this for about 2-3 seconds as I got it into the tub. I was not posing for a picture and didn't even know that a bystander took this picture. I was asked if I wanted the pic as I was leaving and it was bluetoothed to me.

The reason I am posting this is because I have already been told that I am squeezing the poor snake too hard. In this case a picture is not worth a thousand words.

Kind regards
R
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Nice one Rishaad! Nice big snake too!

I need to find one this season to photograph not looking forward to it ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Aaxel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

nicely done Rishaad!
Question; can you use regular swimming goggles to protect your eyes when dealing with spitters?
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Good one Rishaad. To those who have accused you of hurting the snake - Invite them with on the next Mfezi Callout to show you how it is done.

It is easy to comment in hindsight. The reality is that at the time, your safety and the snakes safety is of prime importance.

On a side note, don't you just love Byrons' callouts, he will 98% of the time correctly predict the species before you get on scene.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Snake tongs can be a snakes worst enemy and cause untold damage. It is also possible to use this like a hook with a part to put pressure on the snake. This comes with years of practice and I can pick up eggs and move them around without cracking them. This is why I would never allow anyone undergoing training to use tongs on any snake.

In that picture the snake was startled by being lifted suddenly but did not wriggle or twist which would have been dangerous and possibly fatal. For that short period of time and with the necessary experience with tongs it is possible to move that snake so that no harm comes to it.

In future however I would go for a simple plastic tube with a screw top to secure the snake and avoid the possible risk when picking the snake up. I am sure Rishaad is more prepared for the next snake though.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 am

Arno I remember us having a discussion about using the industrial plastic tubing and I asked if I should have a bag sewed to the end of it which you said was not necessary. I have seen the tubing in some hardware shops but the caps I see here seem to be the snap on type and not the screw on type you mention but I will do more searching.

I am certainly more prepared now, with this one I just wanted to get it over and done with considering I didn't have adequate protection and also because of the number of people around. In fact I did get another Mfezi call out on Friday night which was quite small compared to this bad boy and I did feel much more confident with a full visor. At under R100 I think its a good investment!

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 am

Aaxel, apologies for not replying sooner.

It is possible to use regular goggles when dealing with them but it does not offer full protection. You will still be breathing in quite a bit of venom and also run the risk of venom entering you mouth. If you have an allergic reaction to the venom and depending how severely it could spell trouble.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Rishaad wrote:Arno I remember us having a discussion about using the industrial plastic tubing and I asked if I should have a bag sewed to the end of it which you said was not necessary. I have seen the tubing in some hardware shops but the caps I see here seem to be the snap on type and not the screw on type you mention but I will do more searching.

Aftter seeing what the tube should look like at BV's Durban handling course, I was able to make this one for about R150 using bits purchased from Hillcrest Builders Warehouse.

Any plumbing supply store should have all the pieces as they are standard toilet waste pipe fittings.

My tube is 700mm long and a 1.5m cobra fits inside no problemo. The snake's seem to be magically drawn to the "black hole" and usually enter it with very little coaxing. As a precaution I then cover the hole with a larger piece of masonite (to keep the hands well away from the opening), and then place the cap into position, slide the masonite away and screw the cap on tightly.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Smeegle aren't you a clever one!

Jokes aside that's really a good thing to have even for other species you don't want to handle, would work well in coaxing things out from under things and pew straight into the tube!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby snake kid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:22 pm

That's an awsome contraption man something like that will help me allot with catching some bad ass snakes, also catching some super speed lizards when coaxing them out of cracks .
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder