Nice orange Capie

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Nice orange Capie

Postby Shakka » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I currently work in the Khamab Kalahari Reserve near Bray up against the Botswana border. I found two cape cobras so far and took some nice shots of the one. This color phase is so beautiful to me and this was the coolest snake I've ever caught. Taking these photos was lots of fun! Hope u like...

On the pavement before going out for some natural shots... He was about 1.2m long but still has the band visible on the neck. The color in the photos is a bit more darker than it seemed to me, it's actually more yellow..

Next to a large pan where a lioness actually found it for me, before going down a ground squirrel hole.

Love this pic

Took him in the shade, I think he was a bit hot and settled down for a pose out of the sun...

When I released him he decided to take to the trees which worked -I'll never get him out of there safely... I walked off and saw him go through about 5 acacia trees before going to the ground.
The last branch he gripped on was about 1m off the ground and he slowly stretched down, before swiftly going down a hole at his favourite lair.
Shakka
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Nice orange Capie

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Great images! Lovely looking snakes!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby snake kid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Wow that's a nice find I don't know why but it looks so docile the first cobra pic I've seen that makes them look cute and cuddly. Well done.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shakka » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks. Believe me it was not docile! I irritated (kept) it for two days and waited for some sun after very cloudy days to take pictures. Only then did it stand still for a change. When I caught it I had to jump backwards quite a few times as it was leaping at me. It also bit the the hook stick with venom dripping off it. And they are very very clever, they will see a hole a few metres away and then slowly 'sidewind' to it while still hooding to you, love it when they do that... Usually I can gently catch cobras by the tail but this one was not allowing me to touch him at all in the first few hours. If my finger just nicked its tail when he was moving away he would turn and strike at me in a flash! Can't wait to find the real daddy sized one... I found a skin that was 1.7m long with the tail broken off. Hope to find one that big one day.
Shakka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Now that is what they mean when they say "burnt orange". Nice that he still have his baby neck band colour. He is possibly going to grow to a decent size.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby D@RRYL » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Very nice colouring' and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Awesome snake! naja nivea is probably my favourite cobra. Amazing pictures aswell!!
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

That is an amazing specimen, and great pics.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shakka » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks, jip this was a great snake. Hope to find many more... This was the second one I found, the first one was bigger but didnt have camera with me and he went into a hole...
Shakka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Very Nice, interesting to still have the band at 1.2m. They usually lose it in their third season, I would put that snake at 4-5yrs old. Very nice record.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Active archive