Mfezi Breeding Project

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Mfezi Breeding Project

Postby yoson10 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Bushviper wrote:At the moment Craig is trying to sell his N. nigricincta and that would be a far better project to attempt. They also spit, they also calm down but the nice thing is they are rare and the babies will sell very easily.

I cannot see people buying snakes that can be captured (and are released) on a daily basis. They are so easy to keep and if there was a slight market for them the snake catchers would be keeping back gravid females and hatching the eggs. I have never once had a request for a Moz spitter.

Are they the most common venomous snake in south africa?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 am

Puffadder will proberbly take the place for the most common venomous snake in South Africa,most certainly the most widely spread.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 am

In it's habitat i would say the most common.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm

When I first read this topic heading my first thought was 'Why?'.
If you want to do it for the love of it then have a go and enjoy it. I would breed 2 parents from the same locality, release the babies back there afterwards and keep them out of the trade. I know this is frowned apon but if you can keep the parents and babies genetically true to their locality then it shouldn't be a problem.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby WW » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 pm

froot wrote:When I first read this topic heading my first thought was 'Why?'.
If you want to do it for the love of it then have a go and enjoy it. I would breed 2 parents from the same locality, release the babies back there afterwards and keep them out of the trade. I know this is frowned apon but if you can keep the parents and babies genetically true to their locality then it shouldn't be a problem.

That's only true if you can keep them away from pathogens carried by other reptiles. Keeping them in the same facilities as other species. especially exotic ones, would be a great way of introducing potentially harmful new pathogens into the population.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Froot, I thought about doing it, because it seemed as if no-one else was, and I'm always game for a good challenge. But after considerable research, and the comments here, I don't think I will be doing it anytime soon..

WW, I unfortunately do have some exotics, so that would be a big problem. Maybe when I've got a separate room for them, that I can control in those aspects, I'll give it a bash, just for personal interest.

Thanks all for the comments, and for getting more insight into this.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive