Rabid Snouted Cobra

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Rabid Snouted Cobra

Postby Cronje Rademan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 am

Hi all
I had a call out this morning for a snake. When I reached the place the people already caught this little guy and put him in an empty powder soap bucket. I immediately transferred him into one of my containers. He/she was very feisty and foaming around the mouth.
Upon arrival at home I put him in some clean water and rinsed the soap off. Did this a few times to get all the soap off. Put him in my quarantine enclosure and gave him plenty fresh water. He immediately darted to the water bowl and has been in the water since.

Must say it was quite comical to see this feisty little cobra foaming around the mouth looking like a rabid snouty.

But on a serious note, my biggest concern is the damage that the powder soap can cause him. Any help on what to do will be much appreciated. I plan to release him again but with the best fighting chance possible. I want to try and feed him after he has calmed down a little and then release him in a day or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rabid Snouted Cobra

Postby Cronje Rademan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 am

Sorry for the poor quality pics, used my phone.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

That is one hansom looking little fella! As ar as the soap ordeal goes, I have not had any experience in that department but i would just make sure he has plenty of clean water and if he takes a feed or two I wouldnt say there is too much harm done. If he has managed to swollow any he might just be farting little bubbles for a while. :lol:
Did you flush his mouth out with water or did he just drink alot of water when you put him in the new cage?
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cronje Rademan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks CG, I did manage to rinse his mouth (he'll think twice before swearing again), and I believe I got most of the soap off. He was constantly opening his mouth and it was easy using a syringe to rinse his mouth. I'm sure he got some in and that is what worries me. I just hope that the little bit that got in is diluted enough with the water he also took in to not cause him damage.

I just checked up on him again and he is very alert and exploring his enclosure. So for now all seems well.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

My new puppy ate a block of green sunlight soap on Saturday and constantly drinks my jik water I use to mop with and she is fine, bit of a runny tummy at times but all good and clean. So wouldn't worry to much.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive