Mamba record!

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Mamba record!

Postby Loslappie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Casjahn wrote:Just wanted to say those HEXARMOR GLOVES that ur holding this snake with........well they have been bitten through.

Its not impossible as said before, but if the glove is worn out it could very well fail.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 am

Went on a call-out yesterday. Walked into the yard carrying my tongs and the glove and an ugly 300 year old dog, probably with its last tooth, bit the glove! And it made a hole! Not all the way through but the first layer is definately damaged. Can't risk using it again...Need to rethink using them at all.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 am

Maybe you should keep wearing them as a extra safety measure but not rely on them?
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

mamba 5 I don't rely on them, actually I only use them every now and then but they do come in very handy when it's a difficult call-out. The other day we had to take a mamba out of a car bumper, only the tail was sticking out so we had no option but to pull it out - carefully. The GOP came in very handy.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 am

How do the gloves affect your dexterity?
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hunter1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 am

I need a pair of these gloves next time I have to handle my mother in-law!
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:32 am

Will she would probably bite through them.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 am

LOL hunter! Mamba 5 I do not use them with tongs, only use them to grab so dexterity is not an issue.
Swazi
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 am

Is their anywhere in South Africa that is free of ticks?...God Damn do I hate those bastards they are everywhere in the US( and in the world it seems) and are despicable animals.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Yoson it also depend on the seasons too. Some months there are more than in other months. You get very effective sprays that prevent ticks from biting you. Far better than getting tick bite fever.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby yoson10 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 am

Is their any province/areas in SA where they are less common?( I assume they are unfortunately present everywhere in the country)

Also other than African tick bite fever what other stuff do/could they spread?

Doesn't it suck that big cats, bears, rhinos and large iconic animals in general are declining in population...but ticks mosquitoes and sandflies are expanding rapidly and growing in population? God this is a cruel unforgiving world that we live on!!!

The ticks are everywhere where I just moved to..it is ridiculous.. and hiking isn't even fun anymore because I'm afraid I am going to get Lyme.

Die Ticks lol
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

Yoson we do have one type of disease that is fatal but is very rare so I would not worry about it. Buy some tick repellent and you will be fine. You even get soaps you can wash your clothes in to help keep ticks away. Most african herpers get tickbite fever once or twice in their life and we survive.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby yoson10 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 am

Bushviper wrote:Yoson we do have one type of disease that is fatal but is very rare so I would not worry about it. Buy some tick repellent and you will be fine. You even get soaps you can wash your clothes in to help keep ticks away. Most african herpers get tickbite fever once or twice in their life and we survive.

Thanks for the info man...Just out of curousity...How badly are cobras, puffies and mambas that reside in your area affected by them? Which get the most/least infested with them?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm

In the wild in South Africa I have only ever found ticks on Varanus, Pythons and Chelonians. I have seen pictures of other snakes with ticks but I think these were badly kept captives. It is possible that some others do have ticks but I have never caught any myself.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby yoson10 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks...And in your herping area which are the most common venomous snakes that you see and get call outs for?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive