Milking of snakes

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Milking of snakes

Postby theo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi there

I had boas for some time but need some higher challenge and thinking in the area of milking ?

what do i need and where do i start with this project ?

Thanks

theo :D
theo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Milking venomous is firstly highly risky, especially without proper training, and secondly stresses snakes to death (literally).
Keep on brainstorming some other higher challenges.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am

Venom is only used locally to make antivenom. There is only one antivenom producer and they have long standing contracts with two institutes locally. There is enough dried venom for quite a few years so the demand will be virtually zero.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Long John Silver » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:54 am

See if you can go without a fight for a year with your girlfriend. That should be challenging..........
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Colinh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 am

I have had many requests from people "who own venomous snakes" to milk the snake because they think then the snakes are less venoumous. Have never done it and will not I's rather leave that to the guys who really know mor than me
Colinh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 am

You want to go from keeping Boas to milking snakes?? Do I understand that correctly?

Maybe you should try keeping something mildly venomous first, and then once that has become less challenging, go for something a little more potent.

Only after you have years of experience with Venomous snakes should you even consider milking snakes.

Just my 2 cents worth.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Serpy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 am

I think the transition from boa's to full blown hot's is a steep one. These snakes aren't like boa's mate. If the market isn't right for freeze dried venom, which it isn't. Why would u want to do it? You run the daily risk of being killed, over time u can develop a hypersensitivity to venom, in which case the risk of death from a venomous snake bite is huge.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hemachatus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm

I may sound like a prude, but what immediately comes to mind is the term Macho-Factor.

Quite a Dinner table topic if you say your hobby or job is a Snake Venom Milker.
Hemachatus
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Q Ball » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Quite a Dinner table topic if you say your hobby or job is a Snake Venom Milker.

.......or you have to explain why you have missing appendages ;)
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kavish » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 am

the saying that comes to mind, " try n fail rather than Fail to Try"

The only problem with this is that if u do fail...........u either gona be 6 feet higher (hospital bed) or 6 feet under!!! Ur choice, my advice, go wit your gut!!!

I'll stick to my Boa's personally!!
Kavish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Hemachatus, in my house it's more of a conversation killer than a dinner table topic.

BTW - I think you discouraged him. Haven't seen more posts from him. Shame on all of you!:D
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Active archive