South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am

I understand this may be a bit controversial to post such a thing , but i was emailed this
yesterday by someone on facebook who is also a member of this site but they were not keen to post this in fear
of personal attack ect.

It came with the following.

" What on earth is going on here, it's like these cowboys take pride in comparing their Darwin awards.
They compare who's been bitten by what as if its some huge status quo , people like this give the herpetoculture and all people who keep reptiles are now seen as a bunch of retards"

I must agree it's rather stupid to discuss all that on an open platform on facebook.
The photo's and names have been blurred to not show the "hero's"
I have the original photo but i won't be posting it here.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby Whitelipp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 am

Hahahaha o no. Well Fooble you can just laugh at these guys. It’s like the guy bitten by a puffy earlier this week. He is a young chap and had received so many warnings about his free handling of venomous snakes I can’t even count them on all my toes and fingers. He got tagged by a puffy and no one was surprised. These guys are scattered everywhere. After one warning he replied with something in the line of... well at least I will die doing something that I love. That’s just plain stupid. Why would you look for trouble?
These Rambo/hero type people almost always get tagged and they think it adds to their hero/macho status and gives them an ego boost.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:19 am

These "Natie worshippers" will find themselves in the natural selection "outbox" sooner or later. Sometimes there is nothing we can do about it.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby TonyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 am

If taking chances gives these guys a rush who are we judge .We all get our kicks one way or the other.I have no problem with it because they only put themselves at risk.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 am

TonyK wrote:If taking chances gives these guys a rush who are we judge .We all get our kicks one way or the other.I have no problem with it because they only put themselves at risk.

I slightly disagree with you there, hence the reason i posted this people like this give our hobby a bad rep. the Layman then see's all people who keep snakes as irresponsible "cowboys".
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hustler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 am

Even after the puff adder bite and more warnings you still get the ''Tony also got bitten so it could happen to anyone!!'' reply as if you're being unreasonable by telling the person that their not mature enough to own venomous snakes (that they free handle and still post pictures on facebook) or handle them unsupervised. The mentality of some people amazes me at times. WHY take such dumb unnecessary risks? Looking for trouble and getting bitten is a lot different to losing control of a situation and getting bitten.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:48 am

Can these guys even be believed...or is there a lot of BS coming through? "Bitten twice by a green mamba and worst adder bite..." implies at least four bites by venomous snakes, sounds like nonsense to me!!
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:52 am

It’s a lost cause Hustler. That guy will die young. He is irresponsible and he is an idiot if he think just because it happened to Tony it justifies he's stupidity and recklessness. He acts as if he can do what he wants and no one can say anything about it. Well no use upsetting yourself over it he won’t listen. Not even to people that actually knows something. But people like just should rather just stay in their little ego filled spaces cos really they just plead to get kicked in the face.

How is Gideon by the way?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 am

Kevin Lancaster wrote:Can these guys even be believed...or is there a lot of BS coming through? "Bitten twice by a green mamba and worst adder bite..." implies at least four bites by venomous snakes, sounds like nonsense to me!!

You would think so but when you see the images you are a believer.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby PTG » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 am

Unfortunately these guys are out there and sooner or later they will find that...well they probably wont live long enough actually.
PTG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reinhard Booysen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 am

Code: Select all
The worst adder bite was from a horned adder, but I prefer a green mamba bite any day

Huh? :smt017 how can you "prefer" a bite from a deadly snake?! Am I missing something here?
Reinhard Booysen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 am

I don't get it...

If someone says to you:
"I am a very experienced driver - I have had 10 major accidents in the last 15 years",
your reaction would be:
"What an idiot, someone should take his driving licence away".

If someone says to you:
"I am a very experienced snake handler - I have had 10 serious bites in the last 15 years",
why would anyone expect a reaction other than:
"What an idiot, someone should take his snakes away"?
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 am

Well said WW !
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:49 pm

SPOT ON WW!!! U dont gauge how good a driver you are on how many accidents you've had, then why would you gauge herping experience on the number of bites. I know plenty guys who have been keeping hots for many years and they have had no bites...It is really nothing to brag about and it should be seen as a very scary learning experience that you can use to warn and teach others :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:11 pm

I diasgree TonyK. Many of these guys do thier free handling in the compnay of others even to the extent of handing the snake around. I'm going back to bed now and reflect on how good life is!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements