South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby fastback » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

Yet another one!

What I want to know is don't these people get scared, worried or nervous, In my mind, you can't move fast so the way he is standing now he got to stand until the snake is off he’s shoulders or is it the fact that the fangs aren't really a worry for this young man? A split second!

When helping my brother in law with he's 3.8m Burmese python there is always the thought in my mind that she can strike at any given time for any given reason, even though she is relaxed and calm snake.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris vd merwe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm really starting to dislike this forum! :smt011

As a reptile community we should help people not to do this! Yes I am the oke with the boomslang on my shoulder but it was because of some we trusted that tuned us a lot of bull :smt018 and told told us that the snake would not bite,and yes at the time we did believe him because we trusted him and he was our role model! I can bet you now all of the okes on the forum DID free handle a venomous snake before(the ones that does work with them) its very quick to say what other people are doing wrong,but look at yourselfs a bit amd think if you are truly different! if you are one of the different one you one of a few!

All I actually wanted to say is stop draging other peoples names through the mudd and RATHER HELP!!! :smt019

cheers! :smt006
chris vd merwe
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Fooble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:00 pm

chris vd merwe wrote:I'm really starting to dislike this forum! :smt011

As a reptile community we should help people not to do this! Yes I am the oke with the boomslang on my shoulder but it was because of some we trusted that tuned us a lot of bull :smt018 and told told us that the snake would not bite,and yes at the time we did believe him because we trusted him and he was our role model! I can bet you now all of the okes on the forum DID free handle a venomous snake before(the ones that does work with them) its very quick to say what other people are doing wrong,but look at yourselfs a bit amd think if you are truly different! if you are one of the different one you one of a few!
All I actually wanted to say is stop draging other peoples names through the mudd and RATHER HELP!!! :smt019

I am really starting to dislike people like you.
Parading your idiotic photo's all over the net, i can bet your "ROLE MODELS" photo's have been placed here correct?

Take a bit of time and effort to put forward posts with a legitimate foundation and preferably ones which are coherent.
By the way the guy never mentioned any names but thanks for letting us know.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby fredsmith » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:44 pm

chris vd merwe wrote:As a reptile community we should help people not to do this! Yes I am the oke with the boomslang on my shoulder but it was because of some we trusted that tuned us a lot of bull :smt018 and told told us that the snake would not bite,and yes at the time we did believe him because we trusted him and he was our role model!

This is possibly the point of the thread.
Someone you look up to, a person you consider a role model, put you in a compromising position and into a situation that could have potentially ended in tragedy albeit to your knowledge that you were in a safe and controlled enviroment.

Granted, there are many who've during the course of our progression within this hobby have been unsafe or done unsafe things, when it comes to handling of venomous reptiles, but the parading of this on the internet and via social media as something to be proud of is reckless and irresponsible as there are many on here learning about reptiles for the first time.

This website, as far as I know of, has always tried to promote and endorse the safe handling of potentially life threatening animals. I don't feel this is a dig at you as an individual, but more of a display of what is considered to be unsafe and risky behavior.
There are several indivuals shown during the course of this thread who show blatent disregard for the risks involved and lack of respect for these animals and this needs to be highlighted as behavior which is purely unacceptable.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm

I am still awaiting some info on free-handling techniques; has to be a consensus a lot of people are doing it!

Captive snakes are still and will always be 'wild'. Beware of the feeding response, or maybe the snake is have a bad day, or its a hot day etc. etc. he cape cobra that got me was the calmest cobra I have ever known; nuff said!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:31 pm

armata wrote:I am still awaiting some info on free-handling techniques; has to be a consensus a lot of people are doing it!

Do you really think that after this thread people are gonna jump up and down and say "look at me, look at me.. I'm also an idiot!"
Any free handler posting some free handling techniques on this thread is gonna open himself up to so much attack!

Like I said before, if you wanna do it, FINE! Just don't post HERO pic's and not expect us to shake our heads and think how dumb that is. We're gonna TELL you! And when you get bitten due to your own reckless and dangerous behavior, stay away from public hospitals! I am not paying a cr@p load of taxes each year so you can be treated with that money!

chris vd merwe wrote: Yes I am the oke with the boomslang on my shoulder but it was because of some we trusted that tuned us a lot of bull :smt018 and told told us that the snake would not bite,and yes at the time we did believe him because we trusted him and he was our role model!

There is a huge difference of getting bitten because you lost concentration for a second and putting a boomslang around a kids neck!
THIS IS FOR YOU "ROLE MODEL" What would you have done if he was bitten??? SAY SORRY??? Somehow I don't think that would have cut it!

This is exactly why free handling photo's (HERO PIC'S) should not be posted all over the web! newbies to the hobby look up to some of these HERO's and that puts their lives at risk!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I was scared opening this for the first time, as what i thought is happening on this topic came to my true horror when i opened it!!!
Chris- boet the question is did you know and identify what snake it was before it was put on your shoulder?
Ryan and Ezzie- or should i say Easy- meaning easy manipulated by your darwin boyfriend by thinking and encouraging him that what he is doing is right. It just shows what they said: 'soort soek soort'. I myself has NEVER EVER and WILL never take the chance to free handle a venemous snake, a person can only be good at what they doing by having the correct TOOLS, and number one is having some brains, secondly all other snake accessories that makes the hobby/job SAFE!!
Put it to you this way, would you go to Afghanistan taking on the Taliban without a gun and ammo?
You guys are damaging our hobby by being irresponsible and i have to say very selfish.
From all the help and advice these guys are giving you, you don't take to heart what they are saying but being 'hardegat' you are going to get nowhere boet except a packed church for your funeral.
We are not telling you what and what not to do, but rather to REQUEST you for doing things right.
THINK WHAT YOU DOING!!!
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 pm

If you ignore everything else that gets said listen to one person at least and he spoke below.

armata wrote:I am still awaiting some info on free-handling techniques; has to be a consensus a lot of people are doing it!

Captive snakes are still and will always be 'wild'. Beware of the feeding response, or maybe the snake is have a bad day, or its a hot day etc. etc. The cape cobra that got me was the calmest cobra I have ever known; nuff said!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby armata » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Well boskobra, there are those, particularly on facebook, that are convinced they have the knack, technique, or whatever you would like to call it. And - they will continue to do it - so I want to know the SECRET!! What have I been doing wrong all these years? If these people are convinced that their methods are acceptable then I want some answers.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:51 pm

No wonder why I cannot get smilies to work, you buggers use them all up!

Role models, hmmmm lets see. The pied piper to lemmings, Adolf to his master race, Harold Camping to his flock, Julius Malema to his herd, and on and on it goes. Mother nature busy at work with a pair of forceps tediously selecting out the weak. Bad reason.

All I actually wanted to say is stop dragging other peoples names through the mud and RATHER HELP!!!

Sure, let's have suggestions.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby _THEO_ » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm

"Help" really?
How do we help you if you know the snake is venomous and you know what tools to use????

This is what I tell my 3 year old brother, well 2,5 years old:
1) Slange is dood gaan
2) As jy n slang sien, roep vir Theo
3) Jy mag net aan slange vat as jy vir Theo gevra het

But for you we can work on something like:
1) stop
2) drop
3) roll
cause you playing with fire...
You never know everything.....
You can learn from everyone....
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintrix » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 pm

It seems everybody is finding this guy guilty without proof - if this photo was recently posted in a public space by the accused then he is guilty. IF this is not the case then the blame should go to the " as yet unnamed" role model.

From the above bold text it appears the accused has changed his ways.
“Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.”
Quintrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 pm

I handle my fare share of venomous snakes daily, weekly, yearly. I have not free handled or ever will free handle a venomous snake. I’m not stupid, I will not put a bullet into a revolver spin the barrel and put it to my head. I know what a bullet can do. And I know what venom can do. I want to cr@p myself when I just think about getting bitten by a hot. How the hell can ANYONE, WILINGLY grab a venous snake pick it up holding it as a piece of string AND tell someone else its fine/safe/cool or O.K?
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pezulu » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Chris, I have sympathy for you. Not lots, bus still....

You state that you are really starting to dislike this forum. Why is that?
Could the reason be that you were caught out doing something stupid, and feel guilty/insecure/foolish/stupid and now resent the other members that frequent this forum for showing you the error of your ways.

Surely as a member of this forum you have an active interests in snakes and other herpetological wonders?
Surely as a person with an interest in snakes, you would find out what kind of snake is being draped across your shoulders?
Surely you would question the sense of draping a highly venomous snake across your shoulders?
Surely you would know that a Boomslang is not something to be trifled with. (The Boom Slang was even given a mention in Harry Potter.)

You have stated that your as yet unnamed "role model" made you do it.
Would we be correct to assume that if he told you to jump out of an aeroplane at 15k feet without a parachute you would do so, as he said you would be ok?
Common sense dictates that you don't do it, as you are going to end up with a splat and thump.
Common sense should also dictate that you don't drape a venomous snake across your shoulders just because your "role model" told you that it is ok to do it.

You further state that everyone that frequents this forum at some time or the other freehandles snakes when they work with them. Or that anyone that works with snakes freehandles them. Or that people that handle venomous snakes freehandle them.
I challenge you to show/name one responsible person that either works with snakes daily for a living, or out of preference keeps venomous snakes, that freehandles them without taking due care of the possibilities of a possible bite.
I doubt you will be able to name one.

Name your nameless "role model" and rather own up to your actions, instead of trying to shift the blame to someone else.

The mature response to someone showing you to be acting stupid could rather have read something like this:
" Hi guys. I am the idiot with the boomslang draped across my shoulders. I offer no excuse for my stupidity, except that someone that I trust assured me the snake is harmless and I am in no danger whatsoever. At the time I did not know snakes at all, and took his/her word for it.
I have removed the photographic evidence of my stupidity from the interweb as much as I can. Some people may have unfortunately already downloaded the pic (hopefully to show their kids how NOT to act like an idiot) which I can unfortunately not do anything about, even though I have amended my FacePlant/Twister/IdiotsR-US page to show that the pic depicts someone acting irresponsibly.
The people frequenting this forum have certainly taught me a lesson, and I will ensure that WXYZ, the person that assured me that a boomslang is not dangerous, knows that he is incorrect.
Thanks for showing me the error of my ways."
2:1 Motley corn
0:1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake
Pezulu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris vd merwe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 pm

yes Foobol or whatever! i lost my respect for you,why cant you just leave me alone where i am trying to do the best i can to get all the knowledge i can about snakes! the so called rolle model is Denvor Scarrott,he said that the snake wont bite and we believed him. . . why cant you just accept it as part of the past and try to help rather the drag peoples names through the mudd! i'll ask my one friend to tell you the storuy about Denvor and show you! he as an example free handled snoutys forest cobras and even a mamba so just check where we got the example from! :smt013
chris vd merwe
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements