Bob Clark's facility burnt down

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Bob Clark's facility burnt down

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Details are sketchy at this stage but it would seem as if there was a fire at Bob Clark's facility. There is talk that he lost his pied retics (probably the only ones in the world). Bob was a pioneer and bred the first of many python species.

Even the snakes that survived the fire are not out of the woods. Reptiles will die for weeks after a fire due to smoke inhalation. His incubators with eggs would have been without electricity so potentially he has lost those too.

He also lost a lot of his paperwork and equipment. It will not be easy to recover from this.

He had almost all his albino ball pythons stolen a number of years ago and it took a while to recover from that. Now this happens to him.

Lets hope it is not as bad as we all assume and that the animals recover as will he.

Bob if you do pop onto the forum please let us know how things are going. Our thoughts are with you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Bob Clark's facility burnt down

Postby putridity » Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Wow if this is true
That is tragic :(
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow that's horrible, I'm shocked!
Shame all those poor animals :smt022
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon May 30, 2011 5:59 pm

I truelly feel for Bob... Man this is tragic! Hope he recovers. He is the leader in the world and this is a big blow! Prairs go out to Bob...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Woah never good to hear, my deepest sympathies. Hope he makes a comeback from this.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon May 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Shocking and sad news...
So sorry for your loss Bob !Our prairs are with you !

Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon May 30, 2011 8:46 pm

OMG.. This is so tragic!!! I'm lost for words!!! :(
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

What a tragedy......the mans legacy up in flames

Bob hope not all is lost and that you can stand up again and bring rare morphs to our world
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Colinh » Mon May 30, 2011 9:42 pm

I have just copied this from another forum in UK and apparently it is on Facebook as well.
#1 (permalink) Yesterday, 01:38 AM
alexwilliamsreptiles
Ultra Citizen

fire at Bob Clark's facility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire

by Bob Clark on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 1:28am

"This morning my animal facility suffered a devastating fire. I am in the process of assessing the damage in terms of animals, eggs, records and equipment. I do not believe it will be possible for me to attend the shows next weekend in Hamm and Houten. If this is the case I will make every effort to get the animals I have promised to deliver as quickly as possible. I hope my European customers will bear with me while I work through this process. It would be very helpful to me if customers that have already ordered and paid for animals would contact me and help me reconstruct my records. I currently do not have access to my email but i will respond as quickly as I can "
Colinh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mmwc » Tue May 31, 2011 6:39 am

This is really so sad to hear. Thoughts with you Bob.
mmwc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 am

Good luck Bob. I wish you all the best with the difficult months ahead.

Really sad news.

The pied Retics are a big loss (if they are dead) but the rest of his collection is even more impressive.

Please keep us updated with any updates.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

I looked around for ball python prices, came across Bob's site, I think the leucistic retic was pretty, sad when you loose something you work with and love. Goes for botanists and zoologists alike. All of the best for you Bob. May your new facility, when you start over, be like a protea after a fire, better and more exciting than before!
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake boy13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 am

How terrible :smt010
snake boy13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:29 am

From Bob Clark. I’M BACK! It’s been two weeks since the fire at my breeding facility we’re moving forward, assessing the losses, replacing what can be replaced and learning how to accept the loss of what can’t. These two weeks have been among the most difficult in my life. Animals that I’ve hatched, raised and worked with for years are gone now, babies that hatched this season and some animals that I consider pets perished in the fire. Most long term projects are intact but some key animals are gone. We’ve lost quite a bit of equipment and ultimately the building itself. On the positive side we’ve still got many animals and for the rest, everything is replaceable.

I live in tornado country. Countless times I’ve seen a guy on the evening news telling the reporter how lucky he is as he stands in the place where his house used to be. I never quite understood how somebody could say something like that. Today, I can look at my situation and be thankful that there was no loss of human life and that my business is still viable. In that sense, I am lucky. Could it have been worse? Yes! I am lucky. I’m also lucky, extremely fortunate really, to have so many good friends. Even before the sun came up the day of the fire my friends appeared on the scene. People were everywhere moving animals, shoveling, sweeping, cleaning and scrubbing. People came with supplies, people brought cold drinks and food for the other workers. It was hot, dirty, sweaty work. My friends worked all day and into the night. They came in the days that followed. They called to check on me and ask if there was anything else they could do. They offered to travel from across the country to help. I have many friends and they are good friends!

And then there is my family. Tireless workers. My children, their faces black with soot scrubbing that cage that just won’t get clean and my wife carrying that thing that’s a little too heavy for her. My mother, 80 years old next month, washing racks and bringing food and drinks to the rest. They organized pick up of dead animals, shopped for computers and office equipment, arranged for debris pick up, security and more. I AM LUCKY!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:58 am

Now that is how things should be done, nice to see he has a positive attitude about the whole situation.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements