Permit fees increased in the Cape. Justifiable?

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Permit fees increased in the Cape. Justifiable?

Postby Bjorn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

I am sure a few guys got the email today but for those who haven't we can expect to pay R100 for a permit application and R200 for express. This comes into action by the 1 April.

I don't think this is fair as we will be paying twice as much as any other Province for permits. Lately I have been waiting for around 2 weeks for my permits so I dont see why we should be paying more with such poor service. If R80 a permit was paying for and employee then being swamped with permits you should be able to employ another person.

Where does it end? People are already moaning at R80 so I am sure many people will just not bother with permits at this rate.

I would be willing to pay the R100 if my permit is guaranteed within 1-3 days but 2 weeks not a chance!

I am just voicing my opinion on this matter and I know cape Nature may come across this topic.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permit fees increased in the Cape. Justifiable?

Postby Loslappie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm

I got the mail..... :( :smt010
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

im guessing this is only in the western cape ?
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

If Cape Nature is your permit authority...yes..
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Ah no...

I paid R80 for a bhs captivity permit and it took 6 months!

I'm currently stuck with Bhs hatchling only because my possible customers think R80 for a permit is too much!

So now what do I do with all of my bhs? No one will pay R100 for a permit if the snake only costs R100! Makes sense?

This is rubbish. R100 for rubbish service? I sure as hell think that's a rip off.

Agreed with bjorn. If it only took 2-3 days then I have no problem with paying that. But R100 for 3-4 weeks? No chance in hell.

I'm glad I could vent out a bit.

Regards
J
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:00 pm

I got the mail, and you are lucky I waited almost 2 and a half months for my import permits. When is the next meeting with them? Also I have paid in full for my captivity permit but have not received it yet. I paid for it on the 8th of August. This is sooo not nice.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Crazy...and that on top of having to get your neighbours' and municipalities permission to allow you to keep venomous snakes. It's getting ridiculous.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

That' ridiculous - especially for the service we are receiving!
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Geez that really sucks ! Its all free here in the eastern cape. Except for TOPS ofcourse.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Bjorn. How do I get on this mailing list ?

Uwe
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

I have heard you might require permission for venomous and municipality health clearance for any snake. Now thats a joke. U have heard of the odd inspection and they municipal officer didn't know why or what he was mean to look for.

I have also been waiting for my captivity permit for over 6 months and last time it was never issued at all. Others have been waiting 2-3 years. If you dont follow up nothing gets done. I really don't know what the point of the permit system is anymore.

I am happy to work with the authorities but they just seem to want to make things difficult for the legal guys while smugglers get away with murder!
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 am

it_bit_me wrote:Hi Bjorn. How do I get on this mailing list ?

Uwe

Hi

Send an e mail to hvdwesthuyzen@capenature.co.za and mhanson@capenature.co.za

The way they get these details is via the workshops and catch and release applications, If I take a look at the names on the list.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:11 am

This makes my blood boil!! Thank the lord I don’t live in the Western Cape! This is theft. We pay taxes for services and then they still want to charge more? Like I have said before they (conservation in general) are barely doing what needs to be done and then they nit pick the soft issues! Do the exotic bird collectors have to pay for permits? What about the marine fish collectors? Why are reptiles in a class of their own? I will tell you why because many of the hardened old officials in Cape Nature believe reptiles should not be kept in captivity!!

Maybe this is the reason they feel the need to charge for permits? Anyone from Cape Nature care to respond??

I know for a fact that Cape Nature monitors this site, so come on, give a reasonable explanation of why you even charge permit fees in the first place?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:42 am

I'm also busy with some permits here in Northern Cape. A lady came last week for the inspection but she's terrified of snakes. I had to hold the snake and she stood like a meter away from with a measuring tape trying to measure it :lol:
But also no idea about snakes, I could have held a brown house snake and tell her it's a ratsnake and she probably would not have know the difference.
It just really bugs me that it's okay to kill a snake and even pose with the dead snake in the local newspaper (referring to a tiger snake few weeks back) and there is nothing done about that it but I have to pay and go through lots of schlep to get my permits
Still waiting to hear from them but it's only been a week.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 am

You guys need to find out who the head of the department is and write complaints to him/her about the service you are getting. If that does not help then go a step highe and a step higher until you get relief.

Do not complain about the scared idiots that they send out. Just be confident and show them the same snake over and over for each species that you are supposed to have. Show them an empty cage and tell them the snake is hiding under the soil and will attack and kill everyone in the room if you bother it and they will be happy. I know of someone who even used a frozen snake in a hide box to renew his permit for a Shield nose and then caught one to fill up his permit.

The permit system is there to monitor the people who want to co-operate. Other than that it is as useful as a sieve at a drinking well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements