Western Cape people (CPT region)

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:53 am

Hi All.

Just a quick update. The meeting was very positive! Shaun was not voted on the Committee even though he called the meeting and he will not have voting rights at meetings. I was voted as Chairperson (we have a transitional Committee of four people) and currently working on a Constitution for ratification.
Pieter van Zyl
User avatar
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 am
Location: Cape Town (Durbanville)

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 pm

I just hope that you guys get cape nature sorted out.

I suggest a system of permits for all indigenous and venomous reptiles, but no permits for exotics and inverts.

Or just a permit to keep snakes. Not permits for every species.
User avatar
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 pm

I will let Pieter do the talking now when questions are asked :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Durbanville, Western Province

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby atropos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:09 pm

So what if it's a venomous exotic, or CITES listed or poentially invasive?
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
User avatar
atropos
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:16 pm

atropos wrote:So what if it's a venomous exotic, or CITES listed or poentially invasive?


I understand it can get complicated. I think all venomous should be on permit for the whole of South Africa
User avatar
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:21 pm

IMO, venomous should be on permit regardless of where it is from, and that just to control who has and who does not, there will always be people keeping wild caught cape cobras and puffadders, but giving a working system, it would decrease as people would be more empowered than at the moment. I just think that if you can apply for a fishing permit in 10 minutes, why can you not get the same treatment for reptiles? The laws regarding animals works as follow, you can move and they do not ask but is the dog registered to the new house or not, (all animals are being) because all animals, but reptiles are kept on an adress, moving it from point A to B is illegal. I know you can buy critically endangered birds without having any paperwork for them, and you can get them immediately after purchasing, so why have reptiles been put in a box of its own? Thinking on with laws of trying to save reptiles, it is illegal to pick up any reptile and move it, (technically it is like that for all animals, but then if a bird is hit and broke its wing it is concidered helping it when bringing it to the Vet, and doing the same for a reptile, if caught, is concidered smuggling. The fear of reptiles is causing irrationality in the basic keeping and law creating amongst our passion.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Durbanville, Western Province

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Rodwraylva wrote:IMO, venomous should be on permit regardless of where it is from, and that just to control who has and who does not, there will always be people keeping wild caught cape cobras and puffadders, but giving a working system, it would decrease as people would be more empowered than at the moment. I just think that if you can apply for a fishing permit in 10 minutes, why can you not get the same treatment for reptiles? The laws regarding animals works as follow, you can move and they do not ask but is the dog registered to the new house or not, (all animals are being) because all animals, but reptiles are kept on an adress, moving it from point A to B is illegal. I know you can buy critically endangered birds without having any paperwork for them, and you can get them immediately after purchasing, so why have reptiles been put in a box of its own? Thinking on with laws of trying to save reptiles, it is illegal to pick up any reptile and move it, (technically it is like that for all animals, but then if a bird is hit and broke its wing it is concidered helping it when bringing it to the Vet, and doing the same for a reptile, if caught, is concidered smuggling. The fear of reptiles is causing irrationality in the basic keeping and law creating amongst our passion.


I am pretty sure cape nature makes it difficult and slow because they feel we should not be keeping reptiles.
User avatar
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Sadly, but why allow someone to bring in an injured owl, make an article sound like a hero, brring in an injured snake, make an article and sound like a poacher? And that from people who are supposed to help save animals in general.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Durbanville, Western Province

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby atropos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I just think that if you can apply for a fishing permit in 10 minutes


jup, because the fish being caught are usually invasive aliens

brring in an injured snake, make an article and sound like a poacher?


Got any examples?
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
User avatar
atropos
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Atropos fishing in the Western cape usually involves sea fish of which we dont have any invasive species. If it is for inland areas the hook does not reject indigenous species.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
User avatar
Bushviper
Founder Member
 
Posts: 17358
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Pretoria

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby atropos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Sure but inland you'll be hard pressed to find anything indigenous these days. And if you do it's usually not bigger than a galaxia. Try hooking that!
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
User avatar
atropos
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for the insight BV, and atropos, no examples, just know that they will not charge you if you got a bird with a broken feather as the injury is seen easily, but a snake with a tail driven over with damage, it is slightly harder to see so might result in problems.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Durbanville, Western Province

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby atropos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, but that's not fair to imply that the organisation will do that without it actually happening. That is accusing without any reason or evidence. I have personally helped injured snakes without the backlash you're accusing them of.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
User avatar
atropos
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby michael » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Atropos I know officials in Cape Nature who simply disagree with keeping reptiles! Cape Nature has a very backward approach to conservation, so much more could be achieved if they were prepared to work properly with reptile keepers, this does not include paying for permits, your tax should have already done that! Personally I'm glad you guys have a working organisation in the WC, work with Cape Nature where you can but defend our right to enjoy these magnificent animals.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Western Cape people (CPT region)

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 pm

michael wrote:Atropos I know officials in Cape Nature who simply disagree with keeping reptiles! Cape Nature has a very backward approach to conservation, so much more could be achieved if they were prepared to work properly with reptile keepers, this does not include paying for permits, your tax should have already done that! Personally I'm glad you guys have a working organisation in the WC, work with Cape Nature where you can but defend our right to enjoy these magnificent animals.


Thanks Michael - I really hope our organisation can help the hobby in the Western Cape.

I believe much of the problems with Cape Nature can be overcome if we can help them with some of their concerns and clear up some misconceptions. I hope that they can then address some of our concerns without it turning into a fight. I want the relationship between the organisation and Cape Nature to turn into a successful and positive one as it is in many other provinces.

Of course we will defend our rights where it is necessary though :cool:
Pieter van Zyl
User avatar
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 am
Location: Cape Town (Durbanville)

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron