Pretoria zoo’s black mamba is M.I.A.

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Pretoria zoo’s black mamba is M.I.A.

Postby Athlordian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 am

The Pretoria zoo's two-metre black mamba has escaped from its enclosure, and staff have been unable to find it. Here's a link to the article.
13.33.0 Python Regius
0.2.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 Epicrates Cenchria Maurus

http://www.am-ballpythons.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/am.ballpythons
http://twitter.com/am_ballpythons
Athlordian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Pretoria zoo’s black mamba is M.I.A.

Postby SABOAMAN » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am

IOL news

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... -1.1488592

Johannesburg -The Pretoria zoo's two-metre black mamba has escaped from its enclosure, and staff have been unable to find it, Beeld reported on Tuesday.

Craig Allenby, the zoo's marketing manager, said staff realised last week that the snake's terrarium was empty.

“The area was immediately cordoned off, and stayed cordoned off for two days while we hunted, but in vain. We suspect the snake could have slithered into the roof, but we can't get in there because of the angle and the narrow gap.”

There was no need for hysteria, he said, as the black mamba was in all likelihood preparing for hibernation, and was in a constricted area, with little chance of it reaching any member of the public.

“It would have to get through three doors before coming into contact with the public.”

He said they were still trying to determine how the mamba had escaped.

“Should something go wrong, the Eugene Marais hospital is just a call away, and ambulances will be sent out immediately.”

Prof Graham Alexander, a snake expert from Wits, said black mambas were dangerous, although not aggressive.

“If it feels threatened, there's a good chance that it will attack. Their poison is neurotoxic, and a bite can lead to a heart attack within 30 minutes.” -

And in the Beeld

Die Nasionale Dieretuin in Pretoria se swart mamba is weg.

Die mamba van 2 m lank het ’n week gelede daarin geslaag om uit sy hok te ontsnap.

Volgens Craig Allenby, bemarkingsbestuurder van die dieretuin, het personeel verlede Maandag besef die mamba se terrarium is leeg.

“Die gebied is onmiddellik afgesper. Twee dae lank is die deel afgesper om na die slang te soek, maar dit was vergeefs.

“Ons vermoed die slang skuil in die dak. Ons kan nie dáár inkom nie weens die hoek van die dak en die nou gaping. Lugverkoelingstelsels en dakbalke bemoeilik ook die soektog.”

Allenby het erken hulle kan nie met sekerheid sê die slang, wat nou regmaak vir sy winterslapie, is in die dak nie.

“In alle waarskynlikheid is hy beperk tot die diensgebied agter die terrarium, wat gange en die dak insluit.

“Die slang sal letterlik deur drie deure moet seil voordat hy in aanraking met die publiek sal kom.”

Volgens hom moet hulle nog bepaal hoe die mamba uitgekom het.

Hy het gesê meer personeel is na dié deel van die dieretuin ontplooi en die noodmaatreëls is opgeskerp.

“Sou iets verkeerd gaan, is die Eugène Marais-hospitaal net ’n knoppie weg en ambulanse sal onmiddellik uitgestuur word.”

Prof. Graham Alexander, ’n slangkenner van Wits, het gesê swart mambas is gevaarlik, al is hulle nie aggressief nie.

“Die slange is senuagtig en as hy bedreig voel, is daar ’n goeie kans dat die slang sal byt. Hul gif is senuweevernietigend. ’n Byt kan binne 30 minute tot ’n hartaanval lei.”

Volgens Alexander is teengif ’n doeltreffende behandeling. Hy het
gesê ’n swart mamba en Kaapse kobra is waarskynlik die twee “ergste slange” om deur gebyt te word in Suid-Afrika. “Hulle is aansienlik meer giftig as ander slangspesies.”
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am

You will not die within 30 minutes from a heart attack. That is wrong. How does this prof get misquoted almost every time. The last time with the cobra bite to the eye the same thing. People read this cr@p and then believe it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Nasicornis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 pm

This was actually MY mamba which I am now extremely regretful for donating it more than a year back. Did ask for it back after I resigned but they never even responded to my correspondence. Cage door and 2 inter locks. Very suspicious? Also, having worked there, there is NO way that they could not locate a 2m mamba in the space described. Really not that small as all the lighting is also replaced from there. A bit early for black mambas to go "to sleep for winter". But hey, we all know how hard it is to locate a 2m DIURNAL snake in the middle of the day with ALL your staff involved in the search. Karma is a B!@ch !!!
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Polylepis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 am

Another example of the all too common journalistic (mis)interpretation, this time off the back of some Pretoria Zoo IR/PR spin doctoring it seems.

Also having seen the area in question I can confirm that the “narrow gap” is definitely accessible to a determined search party, and incapable of concealing such a large snake. Hibernation is definitely a few months too early. Breaching the cage door and the locked inter-leading doors is not possible without some ‘assistance’. Given the Zoo’s recent history of animal theft, attempted animal theft, as well as property theft, it does not take a crystal ball to see that the “… still trying to determine how the mamba has escaped” is a cover for a serious internal investigation of the circumstances behind how this unfortunate mamba has, in all likelihood, become the latest victim in the on-going saga of animal theft at Pretoria Zoo.

“can lead to a heart attack in 30 minutes” - another sensationalist, selective quotation. Anything to preserve the general mystery (read: hysteria) surrounding the black mamba.
Polylepis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Polylepis. Thank you so much for that. Something has been nagging me since my resignation which has never been cleared up. You have just confirmed my suspicion.
Nasicornis

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Funny how the snake is reported missing for a week but I assume that the reptile park and aquarium remained open even though one of Africa's most deadly animal is allegedly on the loose. Unless, of course, you already knew the snake is long gone...
Nasicornis

Postby jka » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm sure that snake was stolen, that's the impression I got when I heard it the first time and now with nasicornis and polylepis comments it has even convinced me more.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:10 pm

No snake is going to sit up against a tin roof in this heat (30 degrees plus) for a week or more. I just spoke to another ex staff member and he also confirms that the place is not escape proof. The one girl I have been told is being charged with negligence. How come that lock was "hanging open" the next morning.

Just after this snake went missing a certain advocate was attacked outside the court in Pretoria and injected with what turned out to be some sort of neurotoxin. This advocate also defended a certain Dr Wouter Basson who when he was doing dirty deeds for the state in the 80's used a black mamba to try and make a toxin they could use to eliminate their enemies. Possibly the irony would be lost on most people but I have been called a conspiracy theorist. It makes for a plausible story though.

Here are some quotes from the news.

"His former colleagues, testifying before South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission during the last two weeks, said Basson's medically trained mind conceived of poisoning the opponents of apartheid with anthrax, botulism, cholera and snake venom, .... A conscript believed to sympathize with the antiapartheid forces was killed with black mamba snake venom." "Basson kept a black mamba, one of the world's deadliest snakes, in his office to extract its venom."

"Some of Adv Jaap Cilliers’ clients included Dr Wouter Basson, Jackie Selebi and the ‘Waterkloof Four’."
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 pm

OMG!!! Never thought I would raise a black activist. No disrespect or pun intended. Just some irrelevant info. When I first got the snake we named him Shaka.
Nasicornis

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 pm

The news said thermal imaging experts are gonna try to locate the snake.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 pm

It's probably going to be replaced. I mean found...
Nasicornis

Postby chondro3000 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:14 am

As well I've never heard of a poisonous snake I've heard of venomous although in Afrikaans gif is gif.
Man kind would be very lonely with out the companionship of animals
chondro3000
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 9Naja » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

Nasicornis would you be able to confidently identify if the snake that they 'find' was yours or a replacement? If they try that...
9Naja
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:32 pm

The best comment I've heard thus far.
"There is an opening at the Pretoria zoo for an snake.
Must be black."
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements