SNAKE THIEVES

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

SNAKE THIEVES

Postby Mongoose » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:26 pm

In the DFA this made front page.

The illegal trade in reptiles from the nothern cape has become a massive problem, according to the MES for tourism, enviroment and conservation, Piter Saaiman. Saaiman's statement follows on the sentence of three men in the Springbok Magistrate's Court. The men, all from Durban, have been fined R60 000 each or six years' imprisoment for the illegal capture of 17 rare snake in the province. Saaman said the illegal trade of reptiles and animals is the third biggest concernt in the Nothern Cape, following the illegal trade in guns and drugs.

Paul Zeiss, Trevor Zeiss and Ronald Collyer were found guilty on charges of illegal possesion and transport of five different snake species which were captured during November las year in and around Springbok. The local police caught the men after they were informed by a member of the public. The snakes included two Cape coral snakes, two brown house snakes, five many horned adders, seven horned adders, as well as one egg eater. The snakes were released into the wild after the ordeal. The men, who appeared in court on Friday, admitted guilt to Magistrate Joshua Klaase on five of the 10 charges against them.

Saaiman welcomed the heavy fines: "enviroment crime will not be tolerated in the province. People who transgress enviromental laws must not expect any mercy."

He said he hopes that the judgement will discourage potential offeners from committing the same crime, adding that people from all over the world came to the Northern cape to collect some of the province's rare snakes as it is extremely sought after on overseas markets. " A pair of Horned adders can be sold up to $8 000(R62 500), while the cenom of certain snakes has a retail value of between $700(R5 500) and $ 1500 (R12 000) per gramme.

To me those prices are sky high and i think way out of proportion....

Mongoose
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Jev001 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:03 pm

those guys should get 60years in the slammer
stuff like this makes me angry :evil:

Jev001
Jev001
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:07 pm

BLA BLA BLA, its fine for people to kill them in there 4x4s and chop them into pieces or destroy there habitat with development but go collecting and the result, alot of #$%^. Man i wish this country would sort its consevation issues out...
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dead_puppy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Jev, I disagree with you>>> Im sure most of us, if not all of us have gone herping 1 time or another, hopefully most of you who have caught something. Imagine being caught by a "concerned citezin" calling the cops on you. You caught 2 very very very rare brown house snakes, plus when they get to the bottom of your bag they see a endangered cities 1 egg eater in your bag. The value of your catch is now R150000. Maybe they have the right to catch a haffy over the 5 many horned adders, but still, lets be reasonable not 6 years in prison. your life will change in those six years, you will be there favourate toyboy for all ur time in the prison. I mean lets face it, we dont have any gangster herpers in our country. The beware of NOGA sign on your gate is going to leave you hanging while u in prison. If they had proof that they where really doing it on a regular basis for an income then sure,charge them with poching or something??? HERPERS GETTING LOCKED UP IRRITATES ME
Hopefully there will be THE UPRISING OF HERPERS SOON. I wish NATCON and there tunnelvision could get a life!!! Honestly!!!
A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with herps is better.
Dead_puppy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Its unfair both ways. I dont support using wildlife to make a profit.....BUT....Many of those snakes were propably caught on the road. The snakes mentioned are nocturnal and they will cruise around at and when they find the warm road, they stop to curl up and enjoy the heat. If they were not taken off the road THey would be squashed by cars. Where is the justice in that
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:47 pm

For those that do not know the DFA = Diamond fields advertiser.

People the bottom line is that these as eco-rapists and certainly not Herpers. Removing wild stock including endangered species out of its natural habitat with zero control for commercial purposes come on people.

These guys should have been shot on sight.

Yea, we can wine about our “conservation” departments and politics but this act is criminal and deserves a sentence.
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby Natal Black » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:11 pm

These guys are talented ! ... To find 17 snakes that are considered 'rare' is an amazing achievment. Our authoroties and in-turn, our wildlife!! could benefit considerably by working with these thieves.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Natal Black » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 pm

"These guys should have been shot on sight."

Murdering these people would be rediculous :)
Last edited by Natal Black on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:33 pm

Agreed - a bit harsh. Snakes Incorporated -
Have you never caught a snake and then after a while sold it or traded it?

I dont agree with people raping the wild for profit though.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Natal Black » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:36 pm

There are ways to prevent collectors ''raping the wild, doggy style!!! '' for profit , and baning collection is not one of them.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Gimme a break

Postby KYNAN » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Everybody get off thier high and mighty thrones.How do you think most of the species you keep got into those cages of yours.I know Paul personally and I can honestly say that he is a dedicated herper whose sole aim was to keep these snakes for himself and not for financial gain.In my opinion this is not eco rape but a good way to preserve our species.Just because some D grade natcon authorities have decided that its better for these animals to be driven over or used as muti,DOESNT MEAN THAT WHAT THEY DID WAS WRONG.Great changes have taken place throughout history by people who have bent the laws a little.

Hows this for an idea-give some dedicated hobbists permits to catch breed and export these animals so the real ecorapists(foriegners who come here solely to poach)dont have such a lucritive market anymore.Hey maybe some jobs could be created for those who feel the need to rob,rape and steal because they're still playing the blame game.

Maybe natcon and other topDOGS should curb the slaughter by the muti trade,and were those snakes really released or just given to one of those playing on both teams.

17 snakes caught by three men,where is natcon when certain induvidauls hire up to 30 people to strip a area bare of all animal and plant life for muti,just came to me someone wasnt paid!!!!!!

All the animals you guys own were sometime or another taken from the wild by someone with a passion to keep and breed,why is this any different.

Maybe I should post some of my muti pics so you guys have got something important to b!tch about.The real ecorapists are protected by goverment officials,herpers are not.one last thing where does that 60k go think nicely not to conservation projects i bet.
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kouthia » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 pm

I heard it was more complex than just a "concerned citizen".

Moral of the story is trust NOBODY.
Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Natal Black » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:03 pm

"I heard it was more complex than just a "concerned citizen".

oooooo , now this is interesting :) someone spill the beans !!!
Last edited by Natal Black on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby KYNAN » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 pm

concearned that one will have morethan you do, same old sh.t
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Gimme a break

Postby Natal Black » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:05 pm

*retracted*
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Next