Export gone really wrong.

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Export gone really wrong.

Postby Primogen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:42 pm

This is really bad they should have known there were live animals in the that crate, and when the flight was delayed something should have been done.
http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/exo ... uugWqO6LJu
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Export gone really wrong.

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm

This is incompetence from the airlines. I hope the exporter sues them. You pay a premium price for freighting animals and you expect them to ensure they are looked after en route. It was a bit silly to ship this time of the year in any case. I would love to know which airline is involved.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Export gone really wrong.

Postby ghoti » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:53 pm

I actually ended up writing a letter of complaint to the SPCA and threatened to stop sponsoring them (I am involved in a charity group and they are often a beneficiary) I was upset by the following comment the SPCA spokesperson had to say:

"People who have exotic animals as pets must realise that they are causing this cruelty. Without the demand for these animals as pets, there would be no market and these animals would not be stolen from the wild."
NSPCA spokeswoman Ainsley Hay http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/593671-Reptiles-rescued-at-Johannesburg-airport

I was upset so sent them the following email:

My family and I are regular donors to the SPCA. We really care for animals and up until now donated regularly in various forms. As of today we will reconsider donating to the SPCA again. I am shocked and saddened by what Ainsley Hay said in a recent media report. I will quote:

"People who have exotic animals as pets must realise that they are causing this cruelty. Without the demand for these animals as pets, there would be no market and these animals would not be stolen from the wild."

As a family who go out of their way to make sure that we look after animals (exotic or indigenous) we are sickened by this attempt to paint all of those in the exotic trade with such a derogatory brush. Most of us care and look after all our animals. We are responsible breeders who practice conservation through responsible domestic breeding programs.

To give you an idea of how silly the comment is; Its like going to a dog fight and finding wounded dogs there and saying that people who own dogs are responsible for the dog fight trade. If dogs were not kept as pets there would be less illegal dog fights.

:smt012
ghoti
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News and Announcements