National Alien invasive listing

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: National Alien invasive listing

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 am

Just a quick question to spark some debate; how many actual alien reptile/amphibian species are established in RSA?

How long is the exotic reptile trade active and how many of the invasive species were introduced directly due to the pet trade?

Has anyone ever seen a Red-eared Slider in the wild?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:13 am

Westley I've seen ONE red-eared slider in the wild, many many years ago on a golf course in Johannesburg... and this was after spending countless days messing around in and on the various northern Jhb rivers and spruits where these animals were reportedly "established" invaders without ever spotting another.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 am

Currently there are none. Even red eared sliders have not been proven to be established. Yes they may be in the wild in some places but no breeding has been recorded (latest South African Red Data Book). The likelihood for an exotic reptile to become established is very low in South Africa and the AIS reptile lists are a fine example of guess work and paranoia. Mass releases in a specific area of suitable habitat sustained over time may be able to establish an exotic reptile not the odd escapee.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you Sico and Michael, that is exactly what I wanted to hear from the right people!

I hope a few of the NatCon guys read this.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Savu » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Not surprised. We must realize that all this has nothing to do with invasive animals. The S.A government is a copy cat government,that tries to introduce things it sees in 1st world that generates money. Prime examples,e toll,carbon tax,all the continuous changes of ID cards,drivers license,gun licences,electric fence certificates,boreholetax,the list is endless. All this in a country where muti ( the butchering of animals and plants) is legal and tradition. All this has nothing to do with conservation or protecting indigenous wildlife,its revenue based,AND to piss off certain groups of the population who have the interest in certain animals,which the majority in this country have absolutely no respect for.
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 pm

We had a meeting yesterday and it does not look rosy for us. There is way too much "behind the scenes" work being done by activists who even hold positions of power in Provincial scientific departments. Basically until the new law is published you may not trade, breed or transport Corn snakes. They will not prosecute you and they have promised that the Minister will sign the new law "any day now" which will take them off the list.

I would suggest that you all apply for the permits for Burmese, boas etc that you want now. You will get the permit and once you have it that makes life so much easier. They cannot really refuse them in future then.

The permit applications and list are on invasives.org.za and you can fill them in, print them and then take them to the police to stamp them and then you mail them (email or snail mail) to the address on the form.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Tyronen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 am

I applied for my Carpets permits back in August 2014 already, paid my money, filled in the mountain of paperwork, phoned them and confirmed they had everything they needed. I still have not received any permits, I queried the other day and they said this still busy with no expected delivery date. I got my carpets long before this stupid law came into place so in my opinion the process should be simpler for existing owners.

So I have zero faith in this stupid invasive's system they have in place. Wish I hadn't even bothered!

Anyone successfully got permits for their Carpets yet?
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Savu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 am

I wish you all the best of luck tyronen. But even if you get your permits,I think every keepers aim is to breed and sell his animals. But if it will be such a mission to aquire permits,it will be impossible to sell them legally. People will just buy snakes not on the list,which next time around will probably be on the list. But nevertheless,good on you for trying and good luck
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 am

I think Carteblanche needs to get involved and do a follow up on this. Things that were supposed to be done have not been done, but they expect this law to be implemented immediately.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Ryuu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:47 am

Just a quick question.. Concerning Carpet Pythons.. How much is the Permit? would i need to apply for a single permit per animal?

@Tyronen. you have payed for and filled in the Permit requests.. have you received any positive feedback.. I would hate to lose my Carpet Pythons :(

Thanks Guys..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Good day Ryuu
I sent my application through beginning of December.
It is R100.00 per specie.

This I have received last week from them:
“Kindly note the Issuing Authority is considering issuing you with a possession permit only. However, if you want to perform other activities e.g. breeding, conveying and selling for Crotulus species.; we are requesting a comprehensive risk assessment as stipulated in regulation 14 in the attached NEMBA: AIS regulations.”

I assume it will be for all not only for Crotulus species.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks you TJ&ACP

I will have a look at it.. I still cant believe they are being so stupid/hard headed
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 am

I can confirm it was R100 per species, doesn't matter how many snakes you have of the same...still R100. I asked for possession,breeding and trading. I was required to complete a risk assessment, which I filled out in detail. They told me this can be completed by myself, no expert required due to the fact the captive bred snakes were already within RSA and not being imported. If you are importing then the risk assessment has to be completed by an expert at your own expense.

I have not heard anything back from the permit office as to the progress of my permit, I applied in August 2014. Wish I hadn't bothered with them and I am not going to bother contacting the permit office again. I have jumped through every hoop they wanted and still I don't have a permit, yet another epic fail in my opinion.

Considering the large group of keepers on this forum, I am surprised that not one person has come forward yet with a successful invasive species permit application? Anyone?
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:04 am

Im very reluctant to even try seeing as most people seem to not have heard anything back
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rmack » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm

I am trying to permit my carpet pythons and the application form is unclear on some things-
I am required to fill out details on : Species name, description, quantity and country of origin.

What sort of description do I fill in?
I presume quantity mean the amount of that species that I currently own, correct?
Does "Country of Origin" mean to which country does is the species native (Australia) or the country in which the specimen was born (South Africa)?

The form fails to mention anything about the actual amount due for the application fee - thanks Tyronen for letting us know that its R100. Where did you find out?
rmack
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements